Observing the 5th Precept

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
TRobinson465

Re: Observing the 5th Precept

Post by TRobinson465 »

andrewCLXIV wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:58 am I've got a question for everyone who used to consume alcohol (or any other intoxicant) but has since stopped. I'm a convert to Buddhism, and looking to observe the 5th Precept. However, I've realized that a good number of my social activities with friends involve alcohol. It seems a trip to the bar is what a lot of people want after most events, whether it's a lunch out, a regular weekend, vacation, etc. I don't want to become alienated from them, and certainly don't want to come off as judgmental, but I also realize that giving up intoxicants is important for spiritual progress. How did you make the transition, and what effects did it have on your relationships with your friends?
If you make it clear you don't wanna drink and they are your friends it would eventually just become normal procedure. I hang out with friends who drink all the time (its very hard finding people who dont), they know i dont drink so they just let me be. I hang out with them while they drink and i dont. I've had muslim or vegetarian friends who have hung out with groups of non-muslim or non-vegetarian people as well, and the group knowing this about them just lets them be (oh that has pork, dont order that, or there's vegetarian options there). its easy after they become accustomed to your habits.

I know its hard at the beginning but just be patient and itll be easier if you make it clear your not into drinking and they become accustomed to it.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta