Heart of the Discipline

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Alīno

Heart of the Discipline

Post by Alīno »

Hello dear friends !

I read DN 25 now and i saw somethink interesting.

Buddha speak to the self-mortifier ascetics and say them that its enought to keep the fourfould restraint :
1. not harm a living being (or cause harming, or encourage, or speak in praise of...)
2. not take what is not giving (...)
3. not tel lie (...)
4. not crave to sensual pleasures (...)

And i thinking that maybe it is the foundation of all rules of Patimokkha, and someone who follow this fourfould restrainment sencerely is sure to keep his discipline pure?

What do you think about this?
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
dharmacorps

Re: Heart of the Discipline

Post by dharmacorps »

All permutations of the 5 precepts which are definitely are considered the basis for morality for everyone by the Buddha.
paul

Post by paul »

AN 11.2 goes so far as to say that all other mental qualities arise from sila, which does require an act of will:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

See also AN 11.1
Last edited by paul on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

I saw a quote recently about the use of money ala;
"If money is allowable the sensuality is allowable" something like that, could not find it so can't tell the source.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

paul wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 pm AN 11.2 goes so far as to say that all other mental qualities arise from sila, which does require an act of will:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

See also AN 11.1
:bow: Love this sutta !
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...