Is this a breaking of the 5th precept

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
anthbrown84

Is this a breaking of the 5th precept

Post by anthbrown84 »

All,

I am wondering where this stands in terms of the precepts. I have a certain medical condition with my stomach, it is very difficult to heal and im almost lost with it.
I can take a medicine for it but this medicine will effect conciousness and have a potential side effect of clouding the mind and even potentially hallucinations.

I wouldnt dream of breaking the precepts, I won't even drink 0.0% alcohol free lager because it can often contain trace amounts. But is physical healing almost exempt from this?

If a monk, or a lay person needed morphine as a pain killer this isnt breaking the precepts? Ive known a monk to be on medication like this when being treat for cancer.

To me there is a big difference, if the intention in taking morphine is to get high, clear breach of the precepts. If its taken to heal excruciating pain? For me this is ok.

Im lost, and this problem I have can end up reducing life span, albeit in the long term, im not ill with cancer or anything like that, but it can reduce life span and i want to live a long life to practise the dhamma as long as possible.

Thankyou for your no doubt honest and to the point views.

With a smile

Anthony
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate
bodom

Re: Is this a breaking of the 5th precept

Post by bodom »

As long as it is prescribed and you are taking the amount prescribed and no more then no. It is always about intention. Always. Always always always.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Your intentions are absolutely wholesome, and you should take your medicine with a clear conscience. No precept broken. Here's wishing you a speedy and full recovery.
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

Thankyou for the input guys.

I do agree and am feeling better about it now.
Thankyou again :)
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate