Is this considered a breach of the third precept?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
manas

Re: Is this considered a breach of the third precept?

Post by manas »

lyndon taylor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 am If you think the third precept gives you the right to visit prostitutes, I think you're missing the point of sexual misconduct IMHO.
I don't think I could enjoy having sex with a prostitute (who often despise their clients, how could that be fun?) but still, it would be more honourable to do that, than to feign affection for a woman, just to get sex from her, as I believe happens quite often. At least with the sex worker, there is no deception involved either way.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
KiwiNFLFan

Re: Is this considered a breach of the third precept?

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

To get this thread back on track...

What does "being under the protection of one's parents" mean in the modern age, particularly where the trend is for both men and women to move out as soon as they turn 18/leave school? Is a 19 year old woman living by herself and working considered "under the protection of her parents" simply because she's not married? If so, this sounds like we're heading down the road to Christian patriarchy...