Generosity

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
JohnK

Generosity

Post by JohnK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 am

I just saw this piece on PBS.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/when- ... -to-others
Seemed like good dhamma.

Edited to quote briefly from the piece:
“My son, he’s a paranoid schizophrenic. He’s 13, and he thinks the IRS is after him. I had to put him in the hospital yesterday.”

Mostly, what I felt at that moment was annoyance. This woman had a real problem and, in my heart of hearts, I just wanted to get back to thinking about myself.

I asked her if she wanted me to go with her to the hospital. I asked this because I had decided I would try to think a little bit less about myself and a little bit more about others.

As I asked this, though, I thought, please God, please, say no.

“Yes,” the woman said. “Thank you. That would be great.”

Unexpectedly, I felt enormous relief. It was as if space had opened up around me.

Every time I have given help when I have felt I needed it myself, I have had the same sensation, sometimes quickly, sometimes in a little bit. But there is space around me, that I have more options than I think.

It is generosity which reminds us we’re more than our problems.
Not bad for television.
Last edited by JohnK on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the practice is essentially a practice, and not a theory to be idly discussed...right view leaves unanswered many questions about the cosmos and the self, and directs your attention to what needs to be done to escape from the ravages of suffering." Thanissaro Bhikkhu, On The Path.

bodom

Re: Generosity

Post by bodom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:08 am

Thanks for sharing John.

Heres a favorite of mine, a shirt 3 minute video on the power of generosity from Thailand:

Namaste
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan