Generosity

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
JohnK

Generosity

Post by JohnK »

I just saw this piece on PBS.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/when- ... -to-others
Seemed like good dhamma.

Edited to quote briefly from the piece:
“My son, he’s a paranoid schizophrenic. He’s 13, and he thinks the IRS is after him. I had to put him in the hospital yesterday.”

Mostly, what I felt at that moment was annoyance. This woman had a real problem and, in my heart of hearts, I just wanted to get back to thinking about myself.

I asked her if she wanted me to go with her to the hospital. I asked this because I had decided I would try to think a little bit less about myself and a little bit more about others.

As I asked this, though, I thought, please God, please, say no.

“Yes,” the woman said. “Thank you. That would be great.”

Unexpectedly, I felt enormous relief. It was as if space had opened up around me.

Every time I have given help when I have felt I needed it myself, I have had the same sensation, sometimes quickly, sometimes in a little bit. But there is space around me, that I have more options than I think.

It is generosity which reminds us we’re more than our problems.
Not bad for television.
Last edited by JohnK on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
bodom

Re: Generosity

Post by bodom »

Thanks for sharing John.

Heres a favorite of mine, a shirt 3 minute video on the power of generosity from Thailand:

Namaste
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB