Desiring the unhapiness of some beings.

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Miguel

Re: Desiring the unhapiness of some beings.

Post by Miguel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:17 pm

But, are there passages in the Canon against that notion of happiness?

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Miguel wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:00 am
Hello, friends. I've had this question for some time, and as I haven't been able to come up with a solution by myself, I'd like to know what do you think about it:

When we express, by practicing mettā meditation, our wish for all beings to be happy, do we really mean all beings?
All beings unconditionally yes. If they were to find true happiness, they would stop doing evil actions. Metta doesn't wish them mistaken ideas of what happiness is, it wishes them the happiness that the Buddha teaches about. Real and true happiness, not a deluded version of happiness that isn't actually happiness. A sadist may think they are finding happiness in harming others, but they aren't. All they are finding is their mistaken idea of what happiness is, which is actually just more suffering, not happiness.

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Yes, Seeker242, that is what mettā seems to traditionally imply. Binocular and I are now somehow discussing a different, perhaps also valid interpretation.

manas

Post by manas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm

It is our moral duty to ensure people who have raped children, for example, are properly punished, and serve a term in jail commensurate to how much pain and distress they inflicted on their victim(s); but, that doesn't mean we have to hate them. With really evil people like this, I just try to not hate, rather than feel goodwill. To feel a sort of neutrality. The sense of being harmless, in that I won't harm them. But I'm not going to pretend I care about these people. I think the victims deserve our active care and compassion more.

:anjali:
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40