Right Speech: Virtue Signaling

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Cittasanto

Re: Right Speech: Virtue Signaling

Post by Cittasanto »

binocular wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:58 pm It's the virtue-signaller who plays the person and not the ball, and then resents to be called out on it.
This is my understanding of the phrases use.
It may not be correctly used at all times, for example, in hypothetical examples using first persons (you and myself in a situation ☓). However, this is not how it is usually applied.

Dy firrinagh focklagh
In Truth
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

L.N. wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:08 am I have not been talking about rules, nor have I been exempting myself from experiencing the benefits of Right Speech.
Of course not! :rofl:
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Dharmasherab wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:58 pm
Mr Man wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 pm Why do you use pejorative terms like "social Justice warrior" and what was the point of your you tube link "The Brain of a Social Justice Warrior/Progressive". Were you expressing your right to "free expression"?
I was thinking of using the word 'progressive' but once again people won’t be able to distinguish the difference between a dictionary/encyclopaedia definition of the term and its narrative in our modern day. As in according to definitions even I can be considered a progressive as I think some aspects of culture should change for the benefit of the human population (even though I don’t have a strong magnetic position on that). It’s just that the term 'SJW' refers to a specific type of 'progressives'. It just turns into a debate of semantics. I wish there was a more acceptable term without pejorative connotations.
Mr Man wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 pm Seems to me that you don't really like to distance yourself from politics that much.
I went through a phase where I was interested in global politics but now I make effort to unlearn that. But modern day liberals are posing a threat to our freedom of expression and speech so something has to be done about that. It’s just that freedom of expression and speech are things that I value very much. But this was laid out of a silver platter to people in my generation of millennials so I feel that people of today don’t have what it takes to realise the hard work done by people from previous generations to make available these freedoms to our generation. But overall I wish I could just unlearn whatever the politics that I learnt.

Hi Dharmasherab
Thanks for your reply. Personally I don't think modern day liberals are posing a particular threat to freedom of expression and speech but I guess that is another topic.
All the best.
binocular

Post by binocular »

All this talk of playing persons and balls reminds me that a picture is worth more than a thousand words:

And this one, which is too big to post directly.

Always a person in that ball ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
L.N.

Post by L.N. »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 am
L.N. wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:08 am I have not been talking about rules, nor have I been exempting myself from experiencing the benefits of Right Speech.
Of course not!
Thank you for recognizing that I have not been doing these things.
:anjali:
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。
L.N.

Post by L.N. »

binocular wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:02 pmAlways a person in that ball ...
That's a great illustration. It would be silly for the person in the ball to be upset if anyone hits the ball. Notice also that the ball in the picture is not being used as a weapon, but as a fun way of interacting with others.

On the other hand, if the person in the huge bouncy ball somehow found a way to actually hurt someone else with the ball, then the person so hurt would not be out of line for saying, "Please don't do that again." And presumably the person in the ball would say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do harm you or anyone with the ball." Alternatively, the person in the ball might say, "It's your own fault for being hurt. I'm going to play however I want to!"

Similarly, if some third party witnessed the person in the ball seeming to act in a way which could cause injury to others, that third party might say: "Please stop playing with the ball in that manner." And presumably the person in the ball would say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this might hurt someone." Alternatively, the person in the ball might say, "Mind your own business, you hypocrite. You are virtue signaling."

Very applicable illustration. Thank you.

Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。
bodom

Post by bodom »

Off topic posts removed.

:focus:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Topic locked by OP request.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB