Right Speech: Virtue Signaling

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
L.N.

Re: Right Speech: Virtue Signaling

Post by L.N. »

binocular wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:02 pmAlways a person in that ball ...
That's a great illustration. It would be silly for the person in the ball to be upset if anyone hits the ball. Notice also that the ball in the picture is not being used as a weapon, but as a fun way of interacting with others.

On the other hand, if the person in the huge bouncy ball somehow found a way to actually hurt someone else with the ball, then the person so hurt would not be out of line for saying, "Please don't do that again." And presumably the person in the ball would say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do harm you or anyone with the ball." Alternatively, the person in the ball might say, "It's your own fault for being hurt. I'm going to play however I want to!"

Similarly, if some third party witnessed the person in the ball seeming to act in a way which could cause injury to others, that third party might say: "Please stop playing with the ball in that manner." And presumably the person in the ball would say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this might hurt someone." Alternatively, the person in the ball might say, "Mind your own business, you hypocrite. You are virtue signaling."

Very applicable illustration. Thank you.

Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。
bodom

Post by bodom »

Off topic posts removed.

:focus:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Topic locked by OP request.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB