Carpenter ants eating wood in house

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Digity

Carpenter ants eating wood in house

Post by Digity »

I have carpenter ants in my house that are eating the wood. I found sawdust piles in my bed room closet. Do I have to call a terminator?
Buddha Vacana

Re: Carpenter ants eating wood in house

Post by Buddha Vacana »

It would be good if there existed a way to drive them out without purposefully killing them. Any chemical product that could send them away?

According to Ajahn Thanissaro, if you are trying to achieve a given outcome and some bugs are unintentionally killed in the process, it is not a breach of precept. According to Ajahn Thanissaro, and if my memory is accurate.
Digity

Post by Digity »

I bought trap bait that kills them. They're in the walls. My understanding is that you have to destroy the colony otherwise they'll keep expanding in the house, which could lead to structural damage.

Before I saw the ants and would catch them and put them outside. However, now that I'm seeing the saw dust I'm realizing they're eating the wood in my house.

I don't feel good about breaking the precepts, but these ants are causing structure damage to the house. I feel that puts a lot pressure on me to eliminate them. Otherwise, if they were just normal ants I'd learn to live with them.
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Digity wrote:I don't feel good about breaking the precepts.
Do you eat meat?
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

There was a thread about a week ago on termites. A lot of the same points would apply here.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
Digity

Post by Digity »

ieee23 wrote:There was a thread about a week ago on termites. A lot of the same points would apply here.
Link?
Digity

Post by Digity »

ieee23 wrote:
Do you eat meat?
Yes
Digity

Post by Digity »

Here people were saying carpenter ants need to be exterminated:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=4578
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Digity wrote:
ieee23 wrote:
Do you eat meat?
Yes
Then calling an exterminator isn't any worse for the precepts than buying your meat from a store.
Digity

Post by Digity »

ieee23 wrote: Then calling an exterminator isn't any worse for the precepts than buying your meat from a store.
I don't think buying meat breaks the precept.

I feel bad about killing them, but I already put out the bait. I think if they weren't chewing through the wood in my house I would try a more humane approach, but since they can cause a lot of damage unchecked I don't think I have much choice.

Even if I repel them from their current location they'll just go somewhere else in my house and eat the wood there. I just don't see how to deal with them humanely when they're living in my walls inaccessible to me.
Digity

Post by Digity »

I'm getting an exterminator. They've started to spread to other parts of my house and building nests in different locations. I wonder if I made a mistake not doing this sooner.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Digity wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:12 pm I'm getting an exterminator. They've started to spread to other parts of my house and building nests in different locations. I wonder if I made a mistake not doing this sooner.
If there is no alternative , yes. Why do countries go to war and destroy the enemy. Becsuse of the reason of last resort.
I believe it's the same principle. The moral obligations in such matters are well explained in the role of Arming the charìoteer ( a deity) in the war against the Asura (immorals) by Sura (morals) .It is in Bagvad Gita.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Exterminator is expensive. Still trying to deal with them with cheaper means. I don't kill other bugs but if you're burrowing through wood in my house then I don't see how you can just ignore that. Other bugs like spiders I leave alone.
ayaan456

Post by ayaan456 »

Hello..
I am too irritated by carpenter ants in my house.,, and they damage many things of wood in my house which is my favorite things..., that's y I am too irritated to them.., so please anyone tell me How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants...?