8 Silas and Basketball

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Upasaka Sujatho

8 Silas and Basketball

Post by Upasaka Sujatho »

Dear Dhammawheel users,
I started to live by the 8 precepts in full time asa preperation for Monkhood and want to ask your opinions regarding playing Streetball.
Would you consider it as an entertainment?
With mettā :heart:
All's well that ends well
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: 8 Silas and Basketball

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sitting and watching it on YouTube would be entertainment, getting off your backside to play it is just healthy exercise. I don't see playing such games as harmful to one's morality. Boxing might be considered inappropriate due to the harm inflicted on others.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
User156079

Post by User156079 »

I think it is entertainment unless done specifically for exercise, but in general unnecessary use of energy and also not conducive to mindfulness. Walking meditation and chores should be enough exercise and when eating one meal a day one should not have much excess energy to play basketball without losing weight in general. Maybe entertainment is not the best word in hindsight but i think it is problematic anyway, it is most likely tied up to craving and there is an entertainment aspect to it. Dont think you will be playing much basketball as a monk. If it is breaking the precept i think it is up to you to decide how much leeway you want to give yourself, recreational sport can or can be not included and i dont think it is what will make or break your practice unless you are obsessed with it.
Upasaka Sujatho

Post by Upasaka Sujatho »

Thanks to both of you for your opinions.
I dont think I am very attached to it. I didnt play for a long time, its about beginning to play again because I have the opportunity once every week. And I want to lose weight anyway.
Still not 100% sure on what to do. :thinking:
All's well that ends well
TreeSleeper

Post by TreeSleeper »

I feel like you already know the answer. It seems you feel uneasy about it. That's the answer.
I'd say it breaks the spirit of the 8 precepts. For starters, you're not allowed to dance, I'd say sports are similar enough to that. As well going to see entertainments, so why would you be able to be a part of an entertainment? It's not in the right attitude of monkhood, a monk can't play sports. It's also a lot of running around and exercising, things monks don't do. There's also a sexual component to sports which is the main problem. You're sexual drive will go down a lot as a monk and you won't even be interested in things like sports at all. It just won't make any sense anymore. If you're preparing for monkhood then I'd think you should avoid doing things that monk aren't allowed to do as much as possible. You can't play basketball as a monk so better to drop the attachment now, otherwise it will just be harder adjusting. The Buddha didn't say you can't play video games as 8 precepts but do you think it's allowed? Sila isn't just about the stated rules, those are more like a guideline to put you in general state of mind. Think serene and dignified, that's the spirit of the 8 precepts.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Upasaka Sujatho wrote:And I want to lose weight anyway.
Still not 100% sure on what to do.
Try doing hard manual labor work around the temple. It'd be both productive work and also a great workout. Check out the daily routine of the Zen monks below. I guarantee you'll drop 10 pounds and be strong as an ox after a month without having to do any sport!