sila and pain

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mario92

sila and pain

Post by mario92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 am

Hi all dhammawheel members, does practicing sila should be painful?
Good morning, have a nice day

R1111 = rightviewftw

Re: sila and pain

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:10 am

not practising it is painful
"When a monk dwells without restraint over the faculty of the intellect, the mind is stained with ideas cognizable via the intellect. When the mind is stained, there is no joy. There being no joy, there is no rapture. There being no rapture, there is no serenity. There being no serenity, he dwells in suffering. The mind of one who suffers does not become centered. When the mind is uncentered, phenomena (dhammas) don't become manifest. When phenomena aren't manifest, one is classed simply as one who dwells in heedlessness.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

mario92

Post by mario92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:13 am

When i want to do my homework i feel stress, i dont want to do it, i dont feel happy hehe

R1111 = rightviewftw

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 am

Well if its your duty then find some effort and motivation to do your work.
Homework is legitimately stressful tho, better study Dhamma and meditate :tongue: .

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 am

"Monks, there are these four modes of practice. Which four? Painful practice with slow intuition, painful practice with quick intuition, pleasant practice with slow intuition, & pleasant practice with quick intuition.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Mario,

Ottapa (fear of wrongdoing), knowing that wrong actions have bad results. Also, adinava-sanna (perception of danger) via the Girimananda sutta are useful things to contemplate. One of the four types of deeds the Buddha talked about is a deed that causes suffering now, but happiness later. I think sila is like this at certain times in my practice. Usually, I'm actually very happy to abide by the training rules (5). I don't keep them perfectly, but I am always honest to the best of my abilities when I know I have or could have possibly broken a precept. "Growing pains" as it were.

With care,

Ryan
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

mario92

Post by mario92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Thank you for your answers, they are very valuable :) :namaste:

mario92

Post by mario92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:10 pm

R1111 wrote:not practising it is painful
"When a monk dwells without restraint over the faculty of the intellect, the mind is stained with ideas cognizable via the intellect. When the mind is stained, there is no joy. There being no joy, there is no rapture. There being no rapture, there is no serenity. There being no serenity, he dwells in suffering. The mind of one who suffers does not become centered. When the mind is uncentered, phenomena (dhammas) don't become manifest. When phenomena aren't manifest, one is classed simply as one who dwells in heedlessness.
Thank you R1111

I had read some time ago a sutta of the Buddha saying when a monk is even cryng or in pain and he endures with pain the ascetic life, he will been reborn in heaven, does someone knows why?

But i dont know: how he can do good in pain?
Thank you

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:40 am

mario92 wrote:I had read some time ago a sutta of the Buddha saying when a monk is even cryng or in pain and he endures with pain the ascetic life, he will been reborn in heaven, does someone knows why?
  • “And what, bhikkhus, is the way of undertaking things that is painful now and ripens in the future as pleasure? Here, bhikkhus, someone by nature has strong lust, and he constantly experiences pain and grief born of lust (rāgajaṃ dukkhaṃ domanassaṃ); by nature he has strong hate, and he constantly experiences pain and grief born of hate; by nature he has strong delusion, and he constantly experiences pain and grief born of delusion. Yet in pain and grief, weeping with tearful face, he leads the perfect and pure holy life. On the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination, even in the heavenly world. This is called the way of undertaking things that is painful now and ripens in the future as pleasure.
    (Cūḷasamādāna Sutta, MN. 45)
The Majjhima commentary doesn’t say why he obtains a good rebirth, but I would suppose that it would be through the power of the sīlamayapuñña (“merit constituted by moral habit”) that he accumulates by his restraint.

santa100

Post by santa100 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 am

From Iti. 60:
This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "There are these three grounds for meritorious activity. Which three? The ground for meritorious activity made of giving, the ground for meritorious activity made of virtue, and the ground for meritorious activity made of development [meditation]. These are the three grounds for meritorious activity."

Train in acts of merit
that bring long-lasting bliss —
develop giving,
a life in tune,
a mind of good-will.
Developing these
three things
that bring about bliss,
the wise reappear
in a world of bliss
unalloyed.

mario92

Post by mario92 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:40 am

Thank you venerable dhammanando :) :namaste:

mario92

Post by mario92 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 am

santa100 wrote:From Iti. 60:
This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "There are these three grounds for meritorious activity. Which three? The ground for meritorious activity made of giving, the ground for meritorious activity made of virtue, and the ground for meritorious activity made of development [meditation]. These are the three grounds for meritorious activity."

Train in acts of merit
that bring long-lasting bliss —
develop giving,
a life in tune,
a mind of good-will.
Developing these
three things
that bring about bliss,
the wise reappear
in a world of bliss
unalloyed.
Thank you :) :namaste: