Recieved alcohol as gift

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Digity

Recieved alcohol as gift

Postby Digity » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm

I received a Christmas gift recently of wine. I think this friend knows I don't drink anymore, but I didn't outright state it or anything. This person has a history of being pretty senseless, though. If you suspect someone doesn't drink it's probably not a good idea to gift them booze. I'm wondering what to do with the stuff now? Give it to family members? Is that a bad thing? Use it in cooking? The very odd occasion I do cook with wine. Dispose of it? Might be awkward explaining though if he asks how it was.

Nicolas

Re: Recieved alcohol as gift

Postby Nicolas » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Dump it into the sink or toilet. If he asks, tell him you don't drink and you threw it away, meaning no disrespect.

Disciple

Postby Disciple » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:08 pm

You can give it away to someone who doesn't have a drinking problem.

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 pm

If you cook with wine occasionally and have no problems with that, I see no reason why there's a problem in keeping it and using it for cooking.

Maybe find a tactful way to tell your friend you don't drink so the same thing won't happen next year.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Digity

Postby Digity » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Mkoll wrote:If you cook with wine occasionally and have no problems with that, I see no reason why there's a problem in keeping it and using it for cooking.

Maybe find a tactful way to tell your friend you don't drink so the same thing won't happen next year.

Part of me thinks he purposely gave it to me even though he knows I don't drink. I remember not drinking once at a restaurant and he scoffed at me. He knows I'm into Buddhism and knows I stopped drinking when we go out. This guy is a bit of a dolt and someone I've been distancing myself from in recent years, though. Frankly, I don't really consider him much of a friend. Too much baggage between the two of us.

Digity

Postby Digity » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:35 pm

I could give it to my sister. I just wonder if it's a bad thing to give something like this to someone else as a Buddhist.

I do buy wine on rare occasion, since my family requests a bottle or red/white wine when we host family dinners on special occasions.

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Digity wrote:I could give it to my sister. I just wonder if it's a bad thing to give something like this to someone else as a Buddhist.

I do buy wine on rare occasion, since my family requests a bottle or red/white wine when we host family dinners on special occasions.

You could save it till the next special occasion.

Digity

Postby Digity » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:57 pm

I guess you guys don't see a problem with giving/using it for others to drink. It seems like a bit of a gray area to me. I don't mean to encourage others to drink, though.

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:03 pm

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Digity wrote:I guess you guys don't see a problem with giving/using it for others to drink. It seems like a bit of a gray area to me. I don't mean to encourage others to drink, though.

I only made my 2 suggestions because you've said you do both already.

Otherwise, Bhante's suggestion is probably best. That way, if your friend asks, you don't have to tell him you wasted it and also give him the hint that you don't drink.

StaceyH

Postby StaceyH » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Drinking alcohol isn't a sin, just something that will interfere with the path, as far as my understanding goes.
So, if there are legal drinkers who aren't on this path as yet, I don't think giving them it would be wrong.
I also cook with wine, though admittedly, I don't use it often.

:smile:
I'm slow, but I get great mileage.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:39 am

Greetings,

I agree with Stacey.

Regift it to a non-alcoholic who would otherwise buy wine... then you've saved them a little cash.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"You've got to focus on what's really worthwhile in life, which means resisting a lot of the currents in our culture" (Thanissaro)

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:49 am

Regift it to a non-alcoholic who would otherwise buy wine... then you've saved them a little cash.

Sound like a good idea but not practical.
- It is not easy to find someone not drinking alcohol.
- It is not a nice gift to someone alcohol, knowing that the person is not drinking alcohol. (may be we are trying to introduce that person to alcohol)
- It sounds like passing the buck.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:17 am

Greetings Sarath,

Your first two points suggest to me that you didn't fully understand what was said.

(Happy to accept the third point...)

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"You've got to focus on what's really worthwhile in life, which means resisting a lot of the currents in our culture" (Thanissaro)

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:17 am

Dhammika Sutta (Snp 2.14) wrote:Whatever householder this Dharma approves,
in maddening drink should never indulge,
nor make others drink, nor approve if they do,
knowing it leads to a mind that’s disturbed.

Fools do many evils because they are drunk,
while causing other people to be negligent.
This basis of demerit should be avoided,
but fools are delighted, confused with mind upset.

Sikkhāpada Sutta (AN 4.99) wrote:"And how is one an individual who practices for his own benefit but not for that of others? [...] He himself abstains from intoxicants that cause heedlessness but doesn't encourage others in undertaking abstinence from intoxicants that cause heedlessness. Such is the individual who practices for his own benefit but not for that of others.

"And how is one an individual who practices for the benefit of others but not for his own? [...] He himself doesn't abstain from intoxicants that cause heedlessness but encourages others in undertaking abstinence from intoxicants that cause heedlessness. Such is the individual who practices for the benefit of others but not for his own.

"And how is one an individual who practices neither for his own benefit nor for that of others? [...] He himself doesn't abstain from intoxicants that cause heedlessness and doesn't encourage others in undertaking abstinence from intoxicants that cause heedlessness. Such is the individual who practices neither for his own benefit nor for that of others.

"And how is one an individual who practices for his own benefit and for that of others? [...] He himself abstains from intoxicants that cause heedlessness and encourages others in undertaking abstinence from intoxicants that cause heedlessness. Such is the individual who practices for his own benefit and for that of others.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:18 am

Greetings Nicholas,

Nice suttas. Very apt.

Metta,

StaceyH

Postby StaceyH » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm

Perhaps learning how to make vinegar out of it would be the most useful thing as was suggested before.
That way there is no waste of time, effort and whatever the intention of the original gift giver, something useful would arise.

:yingyang:
I'm slow, but I get great mileage.

Digity

Postby Digity » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:36 pm

Yeah, making wine vinegar actually sounds fun. I might just give that a try. What are your thoughts on cooking with wine? For example, adding 1/2 cup to a recipe. Personally, I don't have a big problem, but not sure 100% what the Buddha would have thought.

What am I suppose to do in the future when my family asks me to pick up a bottle of wine for family get-togethers? I feel like complying isn't in the spirit of the Dhamma, but at the same time I'd feel awkward to refuse the request.

Digity

Postby Digity » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:09 am

I started making the vinegar a few days ago. Thanks for the idea Bhante!

theY

Postby theY » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:39 pm

You can cook it as sauce of lamb, beef, etc.

Because alcohol will leave out wine, while you cook it on a fire.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/2016/09/tipitaka-memorization-is-rule-of-monks.html

Return to “Sīla”