ad blocking software

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
rolling_boulder

ad blocking software

Post by rolling_boulder » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:36 am

Hello,

I use ad blocking software to avoid being bombarded by marketing while browsing the Internet.
Is this unethical in your opinion?

Thanks,

RB
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: ad blocking software

Post by DNS » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:51 am

Ironically someone just brought this issue up over at Dharma Paths a few days ago and he made some pretty good points in favor of using ad blockers:
http://dharmapaths.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... e683bb9857

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:35 pm

No, blocking advertisements is not unethical.

Unlike traditional television, the web is a pull medium. You choose what to download and view. You can choose to not download ads to save bandwidth, prevent malware, and lessen the distractions on your mind. If you walked out of the room while television commercials were playing, would that be unethical? Probably not. The same goes for advertising on the web.

The issue is how websites will generate revenue when people block their ads. Generally, if no one wants or has the need to pay for a service, it does not need to exist. Furthermore, websites whose only revenue comes from advertising need to rethink their business model and consider how they can provide value so that they do not have to bombard their users with ads.

I prefer the donation model. I have made sure to donate to every service that I find useful.
"May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha always be firmly established in your hearts." ―Ajahn Chah

Quick resources: http://txti.es/theravada

Phena

Post by Phena » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 am

rolling_boulder wrote:Hello,

I use ad blocking software to avoid being bombarded by marketing while browsing the Internet.
Is this unethical in your opinion?

Thanks,

RB
No. Would turning the sound down or changing channel when an add appears on your TV be unethical? One has a right not be bombarded by and have the senses assaulted by advertising that itself portrays unwholesome and unethical ideas and content to try and manipulate you into buying things.

P.S.Apologies, just noticed DC2R made essentially the same point as to TV advertising.