Attachment and real life

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
HappyDaphy

Attachment and real life

Post by HappyDaphy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:12 pm

Is it possible to let go of all attachments while living life within society and even having a family? I think it should be possible, but is it? Is it possible to truely practice buddhism to the core and not move away from society?

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Attachment and real life

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 pm

Take a look at the story of Vesākha and Dhammadinna.

In brief, no it's not possible to have your cake and eat it too. To relinquish all attachments while living the household life.

However, householders can certainly practice and attain deep insights and the lower stages of the Noble Path, while still living a fairly normal life.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

HappyDaphy

Post by HappyDaphy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:46 pm

So if i want to truely get away from suffering i would have to join a monastry?

spacenick

Post by spacenick » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:45 pm

There are lay arahants in the scriptures (let me find the suttas, I will get back to you)[^1], it's just that at that point you're basically a monk anyway. You do not really live like a "lay person", and they just ordain at that point. Look up Upasika Kee Nanayon. So to answer to what I grasp of your question: you could technically have not been through a bhikkhu ordination (remember, attachment to rituals drops at the first stage of enlightenment) and be an arahant, but your lifestyle would be one of a samana anyway. So that won't match a family life in any case.

Equally, you can be in brown robes, shaved head, but take on every sensory input that offers itself to you, indulging in food & so forth. In which case, you're not really a "monk" either.

[^1] Edit:

http://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/pts ... es.htm#XVI

and

http://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/pts ... yc.pts.htm

Thisperson

Post by Thisperson » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:01 pm

HappyDaphy wrote:So if i want to truely get away from suffering i would have to join a monastry?
No. The Noble Eightfold Path leads to the end of dukkha, not the place where it is practiced. Some say that a lay person would immediately ordain if they reached arahantship... I think that's a bridge to be crossed when one gets there.