I have read and agree to the terms and conditions.....

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
anthbrown84

I have read and agree to the terms and conditions.....

Post by anthbrown84 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Oh dear, its home insurance time!

some websites ask us to tick a box to accept the terms and conditions, which is fine... but others ask us to tick IF we have read and fully understand the terms and conditions.

I do wonder, am I putting myself under a dogmatic form of practise when I feel like I must read the words and get an understanding before I tick? or am I lying if I don't?

One thing I can say for certain, is reading terms and conditions is sure as heck boring!

Has anyone ever contemplated this before?? Its quite a regular thing when filling in any form for purchase... such a headache!
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

Sea Turtle

Re: I have read and agree to the terms and conditions.....

Post by Sea Turtle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Yes! I have contemplated this. And, although I can get rather nitpicky about the 4th precept, in these instances, I tend to tick "read and understand" without having read (or at least without having read every single line of) the multiple screens of tiny text.

:reading:

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:23 pm

For something as important and expensive as home insurance, I am sure it is worth the effort to read the small print carefully. If you don't, then don't complain later that you don't believe in God, if acts of God are not covered by the policy.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:09 pm

If you don't, then don't complain later that you don't believe in God, if acts of God are not covered by the policy.
:twothumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

samseva

Post by samseva » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:01 pm

For situations such as for small acounts/contracts, like various online accounts and so on, it would cumulate into hundreds of hours of reading. However, I have personally found a solution:

You have probably heard a bit about what is called speed-reading. Essentially, it is reading something very rapidly (visually scanning it). Apparently it actually works. If you scroll whole terms and conditions text rapidly, you are speed-reading all of it, and you therefore don't have to spend 2 hours reading terms and conditions, simply because you want to open a new Hotmail account, for example. However, don't do this for important things. Also, if it says "I have read and understand...", then you actually have to fully understand what you read.

Note: I therby release all responsibility from the above. Problems due to doing the above is the sole responsibility of the individual. :D

Cormac Brown

Post by Cormac Brown » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:26 pm

anthbrown84 wrote:Oh dear, its home insurance time!

some websites ask us to tick a box to accept the terms and conditions, which is fine... but others ask us to tick IF we have read and fully understand the terms and conditions.

I do wonder, am I putting myself under a dogmatic form of practise when I feel like I must read the words and get an understanding before I tick? or am I lying if I don't?

One thing I can say for certain, is reading terms and conditions is sure as heck boring!

Has anyone ever contemplated this before?? Its quite a regular thing when filling in any form for purchase... such a headache!
I sympathise, but, "It's boring to be truthful" is not a reason to break the precept. Luckily, many companies are smart enough to only request that you "Accept" the terms and conditions, in which case you don't have to break it if you don't want to do the reading: you can just elect to accept them regardless of what they entail. As Ven. Pesala says, though, this is dangerous. Also, laziness is a defilement. One that I know all too well...

What I have done in the past, and am not at all recommending, is read some of the terms and conditions. They never explicitly say you have to read and understand all of them... Yeah, pretty poor justification, I know.
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:29 pm

samseva wrote: You have probably heard a bit about what is called speed-reading. Essentially, it is reading something very rapidly (visually scanning it). Apparently it actually works. If you scroll whole terms and conditions text rapidly, you are speed-reading all of it, and you therefore don't have to spend 2 hours reading terms and conditions, simply because you want to open a new Hotmail account, for example.
Terms of Service; Didn't Read has short summaries of the terms and conditions of many websites, so you do not even need to "speed-read" the text.

Of course, this is all thanks to the effort of the people who go through the original documents.
"May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha always be firmly established in your hearts." ―Ajahn Chah

Quick resources: http://txti.es/theravada

samseva

Post by samseva » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:00 am

DC2R wrote:Terms of Service; Didn't Read has short summaries of the terms and conditions of many websites, so you do not even need to "speed-read" the text.

Of course, this is all thanks to the effort of the people who go through the original documents.
Useful resource. Thanks.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:12 pm

anthbrown84 wrote:Its quite a regular thing when filling in any form for purchase... such a headache!
I admit I often don't bother, but that's because I am a man and never read the instructions. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!