Observance day on another day

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
oak1

Observance day on another day

Post by oak1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Greetings,

Lately, I have begun following the eight precepts on Uposatha day's. My parents are not very pleased about this. I think it might be easier for them if the observance days would have been more 'predictable', time consistent (not sure what the word is). Say I would 'do an observance' day every sunday, it might be easier to cope with it, instead of being surprised because of the 'irregularity' of the usual dates.
What I want to ask is, is it important to 'do an observance day' on the day it actually is or can you schedule it any other day in the week?

:anjali:

dhammarelax

Re: Observance day on another day

Post by dhammarelax » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:06 pm

oak1 wrote:Greetings,

Lately, I have begun following the eight precepts on Uposatha day's. My parents are not very pleased about this. I think it might be easier for them if the observance days would have been more 'predictable', time consistent (not sure what the word is). Say I would 'do an observance' day every sunday, it might be easier to cope with it, instead of being surprised because of the 'irregularity' of the usual dates.
What I want to ask is, is it important to 'do an observance day' on the day it actually is or can you schedule it any other day in the week?

:anjali:
If there is a strong reason it could be scheduled another day but if not is better to follow the moon cycle, I see that those days are specially auspicious for meditation.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

Digity

Post by Digity » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:45 pm

I do it every Wednesday. I found it easier if it was on a fixed day for me. I don't believe a moon cycle would have any effect on your meditation.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Asian Vihāras usually observe it on the nearest Sunday for the convenience of everyone. If that's a day off work for you, it will also make it easier to not eat in the afternoon.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

oak1

Post by oak1 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Thank you!

Digity

Post by Digity » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 am

The important part isn't the literal day, but the act of following the eight precepts and committing that day to cultivating the Dhamma. That's what matters the most.