WAR

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Aberlardo

WAR

Post by Aberlardo » Wed May 04, 2016 10:35 am

One group of people are going to kill another group i.e. as in genocide or war then another group step in to stop the first group from committing the atrocity by warning them not to do it. But the first group dont take the advise so the group trying to stop them have to kill them. This is basically what often happens in wars. I know Buddhism does not agree with or condone violence of any kind but what is the Buddhist stance in such a situation? Just to leave group A to kill group B and dont get involved?

Pinetree

Re: WAR

Post by Pinetree » Wed May 04, 2016 1:14 pm

There are more possible approaches.

There was a monk, and I'm not sure who this monk was who gathered few other monks, and some followers I think and started to do walking meditation in the middle of the battle, along the line between the combatants.

Being peaceful is an art and a science and a way of life. Some people are better at it than others.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 04, 2016 4:26 pm

There was an interesting article in Inquiring Mind and then interesting discussions here on this issue. The 2 sides went to war and it got so heated that the discussion had to be locked, but you can still see the points made here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=21602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Pinetree wrote:There are more possible approaches.

There was a monk, and I'm not sure who this monk was who gathered few other monks, and some followers I think and started to do walking meditation in the middle of the battle, along the line between the combatants.

Being peaceful is an art and a science and a way of life. Some people are better at it than others.
Don't be naïve.
In practical world this would not work.
In Sri Lanka bus load of monks went to have a peaceful discussion with tigers. (Tamil Separatists)
They all were massacred.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-06-03/ ... mil-rebels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SarathW on Thu May 05, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed May 04, 2016 8:34 pm

Aberlardo wrote:One group of people are going to kill another group i.e. as in genocide or war then another group step in to stop the first group from committing the atrocity by warning them not to do it. But the first group dont take the advise so the group trying to stop them have to kill them. This is basically what often happens in wars. I know Buddhism does not agree with or condone violence of any kind but what is the Buddhist stance in such a situation? Just to leave group A to kill group B and dont get involved?
All Buddhist do not practice five precepts. Many of them even do not know the meaning of it.
Only a Sotapanna will not break the five precepts. So it is rare to find people who attain this level.
Buddha never talk about the self defence except Kamma and Dependent Originaton.
We should not waste our time on hypothetical questions.
I consider my self lucky (may be some good Kamma) that I do not have to live in a battle field.
The Dhamma is here in pristine condition so we should make an effort to practice it best with our ability.
It is also important to remember that whole Sakyan clan (Buddha's relatives) was massacred by the enemy.
The war (small or big) is here to stay. Do not take part on it.

Pinetree

Post by Pinetree » Thu May 05, 2016 5:15 am

Don't be naïve.
In practical world this would not work.
In Sri Lanka bus load of monks went to have a peaceful discussion with tigers. (Tamil Separatists)
Of course it would work. Except that it might not have the desired result.

And many things don't ... Have the desired result.

I am sure we can find links and articles where people loaded a bus with people and weapons and went to war and ...
They all were massacred.
And like I said:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu May 05, 2016 5:27 am

I think you are referring to this:

The Buddha intervened personally on the field of battle, as in the dispute between the Sakyas and Koliyas over the waters of the Rohini. Since that time, history has provided us with a host of examples of religiously inspired non-violent social action, skillfully adapted to particular situations. These are worthy of deep contemplation.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el285.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mario92

Post by mario92 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:58 pm

SarathW wrote:I think you are referring to this:

The Buddha intervened personally on the field of battle, as in the dispute between the Sakyas and Koliyas over the waters of the Rohini. Since that time, history has provided us with a host of examples of religiously inspired non-violent social action, skillfully adapted to particular situations. These are worthy of deep contemplation.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el285.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wow, the Bhddha was great :)
Good morning, have a nice day