Ethical jobs with freedom to work anytime?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Strive4Karuna

Ethical jobs with freedom to work anytime?

Post by Strive4Karuna »

I would like an occupation with the freedom to take time off whenever I want. I want to spend more time at the monastery, and I would like an occupation that would allow me lots of freedom to work as I please and visit the temple & monastery whenever I want.

Some examples would be a computer programmer, or translator. I met one guy whos occupation was translating documents, and this allowed him to work from wherever, and I guess after the job was done, there was no onus on him to take on another job. He could just finish with that one client, and take a break or find more work If he wanted. He was also able to work from anywhere in the world.

What are some other occupations like these, where I can be my own boss, and take jobs whenever I like? I would guess trade jobs would be the same, as a self-employed electrician or plumber, you could probably do the same thing, but wouldnt have the flexbility to work from anywhere in the world, which I would assume would only be afforded to those who work in an occupation that is computer oriented.

Also, I realize that any such occupation would probably include some sort of schooling. I am currently working with my family, and I love my job, however, If i was to forsake my current occupation, the number one occupation on my mind right now would be a computer programmer, taking freelance jobs, developing apple and android apps, seems like a fun & creative occupation that would allow me to work whenever I please.

Thank you.
Last edited by Strive4Karuna on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Ethical jobs with freedom to work anytime?

Post by DNS »

Start/open a business. Work 16 hours a day, grow your business. Be kind to your customers, offer a fair price for good service. Grow it to the point where you can hire employees. Then you have free time to go on retreats, travel and oversee your business via internet, phone and in-person meetings. Go on a pilgrimage to India and get enlightened.

That is pretty much what I did, except for the enlightenment part. :tongue:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi,
freelance workers also need to keep in the eyes of companies who would hire them, otherwise they would find more reliable/better known people to do the work they need done.

If you wish to devote yourself to the goal, do so, but don't sit on the fence trying to get the best of both worlds. It won't work.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
samseva

Post by samseva »

Web designer. Many good advantages, such as the ones you listed. However, the main disadvantage is being stuck behind a computer with no one else around—often for days at a time, if you don't live with someone.