Benefits of studying the Vinaya

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
some1

Benefits of studying the Vinaya

Post by some1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:59 am

According to a footnote found in a Chinese Translation of Bhikkhupātimokkha by Mahinda Bhikkhu, (besides the 10 usefulnesses/reasons of the Vinaya as explained in Samantapāsādikā & AN 10.31) there are 5 benefits for laypersons studying the Vinaya:

1. increasing the general confidence with the Dhamma and Sangha
2. facilitating the complete understanding of Buddha's teaching (Dhamma-Vinaya as the two main parts) on the whole
3. knowing the rightful manner (in accordance to the Dhamma-Vinaya) in upholding the Sangha
4. monitoring and advising certain members of the Sangha who are arrogant and transgressing the precepts
5. preparing those who plan to join the Sangha with respective foundation

My questions are:
1. Is the above a general understanding in the Theravada tradition?
2. More specifically on the 4th point above, are laypersons being expected to play a role on providing feedback to the Sangha on Vinaya related matters? (this actually surprise me a little)
3. Anyone knows about the source or scripture reference where this is coming from? (Samantapāsādikā ??)

Thanks.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Benefits of studying the Vinaya

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 am

It would benefit the Sāsana if wise laypersons would study the Vinaya:

Should Lay Person Learn the Vinaya?

However, it might bring harm to those who seek to find fault, and lack experience in meditation.

In admonition bhikkhus, lay persons should use indirect speech to avoid confrontation and insults. For example, if asked for something that is not allowable for bhikkhus (such as money) one could ask, “Do you have a kappiya, venerable sir, who can provide what is allowable for bhikkhus?”
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

some1

Post by some1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It would benefit the Sāsana if wise laypersons would study the Vinaya:

Should Lay Person Learn the Vinaya?

However, it might bring harm to those who seek to find fault, and lack experience in meditation.

In admonition bhikkhus, lay persons should use indirect speech to avoid confrontation and insults. For example, if asked for something that is not allowable for bhikkhus (such as money) one could ask, “Do you have a kappiya, venerable sir, who can provide what is allowable for bhikkhus?”
Dear Bhante,
Thanks for the hints provided. Anyway, have you come across the above mentioned 5 benefits stated anywhere in the scripture? Just curious if that was taken from somewhere in the Pali Canon.

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm

The five benefits Mahinda lists are certainly not in the Tipiṭaka. Nor have I met with them in any commentary (though there are a few commentaries I haven't yet read). However, as Ledi Sayadaw didn't mention the five benefits in the article posted by Ven. Pesala, I strongly doubt they are in any Pali text at all.

some1

Post by some1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:43 pm

Dhammanando wrote:The five benefits Mahinda lists are certainly not in the Tipiṭaka. Nor have I met with them in any commentary (though there are a few commentaries I haven't yet read). However, as Ledi Sayadaw didn't mention the five benefits in the article posted by Ven. Pesala, I strongly doubt they are in any Pali text at all.
Dear Bhante,
Thanks for your reply. I do find the writing by Ledi Sayadaw being helpful and insightful too. :anjali: