Sensual desire

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
lonewolf

Sensual desire

Post by lonewolf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:01 am

Even though selfishness, greed, hatred seem not to be a major/gross issue for me, the sensuality is. I do know about the gross nature of the body, the hopelessness of an attachment/clinging to impermanent, but yet I find myself strongly attracted to the opposite gender. I do know of cemetery meditations etc, but conceptually knowing, and being able to see it directly are two different things in my case. What am I doing wrong? How do I overcome sensuality?

Thank you.

Not sure if this is the proper section for this post, if not please move it to the section where it belongs. Thank you.

culaavuso

Re: Sensual desire

Post by culaavuso » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:30 am

lonewolf wrote:How do I overcome sensuality?
SN 46.51: Āhāra Sutta wrote: And what is the food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen? There is the theme of beauty. To foster inappropriate attention to it: This is the food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen.
Now, what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen? There is the theme of unattractiveness. To foster appropriate attention to it: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen.
MN 14: Cūḷa­dukkha­kkhandha Sutta wrote: I myself, before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened bodhisatta, saw as it actually was with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, but as long as I had not attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, I did not claim that I could not be tempted by sensuality. But when I saw as it actually was with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, and I had attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, that was when I claimed that I could not be tempted by sensuality.
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/candy.html]Trading Candy for Gold: Renunciation as a Skill[/url] by Ven. Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu wrote: As a skillful form of indulgence, Right Concentration suffuses the body with a non-sensual rapture and pleasure that can help counteract any sense of deprivation in resisting sensual passions. In other words, it provides higher pleasures — more lasting and refined — as a reward for abandoning attachment to lower ones. At the same time it gives us the stable basis we need so as not to be blown away by the assaults of our thwarted attachments. This stability also steadies the mindfulness and alertness we need to see through the misperceptions and delusions that underlie sensual passion. And once the mind can see through the processes of projection, perception, and misperception to the greater sense of freedom that comes when they are transcended, the basis for sensual passion is gone.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:03 am

culaavuso wrote:
lonewolf wrote:How do I overcome sensuality?
SN 46.51: Āhāra Sutta wrote: And what is the food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen? There is the theme of beauty. To foster inappropriate attention to it: This is the food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen.
Now, what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen? There is the theme of unattractiveness. To foster appropriate attention to it: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen.
MN 14: Cūḷa­dukkha­kkhandha Sutta wrote: I myself, before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened bodhisatta, saw as it actually was with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, but as long as I had not attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, I did not claim that I could not be tempted by sensuality. But when I saw as it actually was with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, and I had attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, that was when I claimed that I could not be tempted by sensuality.
Thank you.

So the effort, and perseverance on the path are the only cure. Maybe they are right, maybe there is no shortcut anywhere worth going.

Patience it is then.

LXNDR

Post by LXNDR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:17 pm

self-discipline and meditation to attain jhanic pleasure which will supersede the sensual one thereby helping to weaken attachment to it
Aranavibhanga sutta (MN 139) wrote:
9. “‘One should know how to define pleasure, and knowing that, one should pursue pleasure within oneself.’ So it was said. And with reference to what was this said?

“Bhikkhus, there are these five cords of sensual pleasure. What five? Forms cognizable by the eye … sounds cognizable by the ear … odours cognizable by the nose … flavours cognizable by the tongue … tangibles cognizable by the body that are wished for, desired, agreeable, and likeable, connected with sensual desire and provocative of lust. These are the five cords of sensual pleasure. Now the pleasure and joy that arise dependent on these five cords of sensual pleasure are called sensual pleasure - a filthy pleasure, a coarse pleasure, an ignoble pleasure. I say of this kind of pleasure that it should not be pursued, that it should not be developed, that it should not be cultivated, and that it should be feared.

“Here, bhikkhus, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the first jhana … the second jhana … the third jhana … the fourth jhana. This is called the bliss of renunciation, the bliss of seclusion, the bliss of peace, the bliss of enlightenment. I say of this kind of pleasure that it should be pursued, that it should be developed, that it should be cultivated, and that it should not be feared.

“So it was with reference to this that it was said: ‘One should know how to define pleasure, and knowing that, one should pursue pleasure within oneself.’
i believe to start seeing directly a switchover must occur, the practice is an activity of creating and accumulating conditions facilitative for such a switchover

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:38 am

LXNDR wrote:self-discipline and meditation to attain jhanic pleasure which will supersede the sensual one thereby helping to weaken attachment to it
Aranavibhanga sutta (MN 139) wrote:
9. “‘One should know how to define pleasure, and knowing that, one should pursue pleasure within oneself.’ So it was said. And with reference to what was this said?

“Bhikkhus, there are these five cords of sensual pleasure. What five? Forms cognizable by the eye … sounds cognizable by the ear … odours cognizable by the nose … flavours cognizable by the tongue … tangibles cognizable by the body that are wished for, desired, agreeable, and likeable, connected with sensual desire and provocative of lust. These are the five cords of sensual pleasure. Now the pleasure and joy that arise dependent on these five cords of sensual pleasure are called sensual pleasure - a filthy pleasure, a coarse pleasure, an ignoble pleasure. I say of this kind of pleasure that it should not be pursued, that it should not be developed, that it should not be cultivated, and that it should be feared.

“Here, bhikkhus, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the first jhana … the second jhana … the third jhana … the fourth jhana. This is called the bliss of renunciation, the bliss of seclusion, the bliss of peace, the bliss of enlightenment. I say of this kind of pleasure that it should be pursued, that it should be developed, that it should be cultivated, and that it should not be feared.

“So it was with reference to this that it was said: ‘One should know how to define pleasure, and knowing that, one should pursue pleasure within oneself.’
i believe to start seeing directly a switchover must occur, the practice is an activity of creating and accumulating conditions facilitative for such a switchover
Agreed. Seems there is no substitute for effort, and perseverance.

randall

Post by randall » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:51 am

lonewolf wrote:Even though selfishness, greed, hatred seem not to be a major/gross issue for me, the sensuality is.
This should be re-evaluated over and over to see if it still holds true later on. You mention the two roots of greed and hatred but lets not forget delusion!

angryrika

Post by angryrika » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:49 am

Sensuality is greed.

When you see a beautiful body, you're deluding yourself; you're unaware of the true nature of the body. You're paying attention to the curves and such. Next time you see a person, look more in-depth at what's really there. Look at the skin and how it holds things together, it's right there in front of you. Whenever you see a person, that's what you should be aware of in order to "starve" sensuality.

Chances are, when you're just starting to practice this, there will be some discomfort and your mind will naturally incline towards sensuality. This is because you have to be persistent in your mindfulness, and because you need to see the drawbacks of sensuality:
AN 9.41 wrote:Even I myself, before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened Bodhisatta, thought: 'Renunciation is good. Seclusion is good.' But my heart didn't leap up at renunciation, didn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace. The thought occurred to me: 'What is the cause, what is the reason, why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'I haven't seen the drawback of sensual pleasures; I haven't pursued [that theme]. I haven't understood the reward of renunciation; I haven't familiarized myself with it. That's why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Don't be lax in your efforts, you won't lean towards renunciation by waiting for a miracle.
For a person tormented by evil thoughts, who is passion-dominated and given to the pursuit of pleasure, his craving steadily grows. He makes the fetter strong, indeed. He who delights in subduing evil thoughts, who meditates on the impurities and is ever mindful — it is he who will make an end of craving and rend asunder Mara's fetter.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:51 am

Also keep in mind that sensual desire does not only apply to human bodies but also to all objects experienced via sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch that are pleasing and delightful, i.e. the five cords of sensual pleasure.
MN 13 wrote:7. (i) “And what, bhikkhus, is the gratification in the case of sensual pleasures? Bhikkhus, there are these five cords of sensual pleasure. What are the five? Forms cognizable by the eye that are wished for, desired, agreeable and likeable, connected with sensual desire, and provocative of lust. Sounds cognizable by the ear … Odours cognizable by the nose … Flavours cognizable by the tongue … Tangibles cognizable by the body that are wished for, desired, agreeable and likeable, connected with sensual desire, and provocative of lust. These are the five cords of sensual pleasure. Now the pleasure and joy that arise dependent on these five cords of sensual pleasure are the gratification in the case of sensual pleasures.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:20 am

angryrika wrote:Sensuality is greed.

When you see a beautiful body, you're deluding yourself; you're unaware of the true nature of the body. You're paying attention to the curves and such. Next time you see a person, look more in-depth at what's really there. Look at the skin and how it holds things together, it's right there in front of you. Whenever you see a person, that's what you should be aware of in order to "starve" sensuality.

Chances are, when you're just starting to practice this, there will be some discomfort and your mind will naturally incline towards sensuality. This is because you have to be persistent in your mindfulness, and because you need to see the drawbacks of sensuality:
AN 9.41 wrote:Even I myself, before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened Bodhisatta, thought: 'Renunciation is good. Seclusion is good.' But my heart didn't leap up at renunciation, didn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace. The thought occurred to me: 'What is the cause, what is the reason, why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'I haven't seen the drawback of sensual pleasures; I haven't pursued [that theme]. I haven't understood the reward of renunciation; I haven't familiarized myself with it. That's why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace.

Don't be lax in your efforts, you won't lean towards renunciation by waiting for a miracle.
Yes it is a form of greed, with it's own specific flavor, other forms of greed are not as alluring. I am celibate, and want to stay that way, but it is a struggle for now.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 am

Mkoll wrote:Also keep in mind that sensual desire does not only apply to human bodies but also to all objects experienced via sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch that are pleasing and delightful, i.e. the five cords of sensual pleasure.
MN 13 wrote:7. (i) “And what, bhikkhus, is the gratification in the case of sensual pleasures? Bhikkhus, there are these five cords of sensual pleasure. What are the five? Forms cognizable by the eye that are wished for, desired, agreeable and likeable, connected with sensual desire, and provocative of lust. Sounds cognizable by the ear … Odours cognizable by the nose … Flavours cognizable by the tongue … Tangibles cognizable by the body that are wished for, desired, agreeable and likeable, connected with sensual desire, and provocative of lust. These are the five cords of sensual pleasure. Now the pleasure and joy that arise dependent on these five cords of sensual pleasure are the gratification in the case of sensual pleasures.
Yes, though other forms of sensual desire do not have the same effect on me. For instance, I don't crave food, I only eat when I am hungry, and in mederation, often I can go without food for a day, without feeling hunger, and I eat plain but healthy food. I like some music for example Celtic music, and some classical music, but I can go without it just fine. Generally I do not have an issue with gross forms of greed, the one exception I am acutely aware of is the attraction to the opposite gender, and I know romantic relationships is inviting mess, and confusion into one's life. I have been in relationships before, so I know it first hand. I know it's not good for me, now I need to really understand it.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 am

lonewolf wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Also keep in mind that sensual desire does not only apply to human bodies but also to all objects experienced via sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch that are pleasing and delightful, i.e. the five cords of sensual pleasure.
Yes, though other forms of sensual desire do not have the same effect on me. For instance, I don't crave food, I only eat when I am hungry, and in mederation, often I can go without food for a day, without feeling hunger, and I eat plain but healthy food. I like some music for example Celtic music, and some classical music, but I can go without it just fine. Generally I do not have an issue with gross forms of greed, the one exception I am acutely aware of is the attraction to the opposite gender, and I know romantic relationships is inviting mess, and confusion into one's life. I have been in relationships before, so I know it first hand. I know it's not good for me, now I need to really understand it.
I'd be very surprised if you can go a day without eating and without feeling hunger.

It's also much easier to say "I can go without A, B, C, etc." than to actually do it, especially for a long time.

Zom

Post by Zom » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:50 am

Stronger greed than that is only greed to exist -) So this is quite understandable problem. Apart from known and traditional methods of reducing greed I'd recommend to contemplate unpleasant feeling that comes directly from unsatisfied craving. This is really powerful, because mind starts to connect these two things: craving-dukkha -- instead of -- craving-sukha (as usually happens).

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:30 am

Zom wrote:
Stronger greed than that is only greed to exist -) So this is quite understandable problem. Apart from known and traditional methods of reducing greed I'd recommend to contemplate unpleasant feeling that comes directly from unsatisfied craving. This is really powerful, because mind starts to connect these two things: craving-dukkha -- instead of -- craving-sukha (as usually happens).
:thumbsup:

LXNDR

Post by LXNDR » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:11 am

i know it's not impossible to not feel hunger, experience of people who do therapeutic fasting proves that, primarily mental hunger, but even physical hunger, if it's there, only lasts for a couple of days

psychologically it's easier however to endure hunger knowing that you're eventually going to eat when the fasting ends or can resume taking food at any moment

acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:33 am

angryrika wrote:Sensuality is greed.

:goodpost:
lonewolf wrote:Yes it is a form of greed, with it's own specific flavor, other forms of greed are not as alluring. I am celibate, and want to stay that way, but it is a struggle for now.
When I was celibate I used to look at and investigate pictures of autopsies, dead bodies and corpses whenever sexual desire arose within me. Mental images often did not have the strenght for the arising of insight into the nature of the human body. It was helpful and disenchanting. Sexual desire had never continued when I was looking at skulls and stuff. I also pondered the drawbacks of giving in to sensual desire, that it does only lead to more desire, that it doesn't lead to an end of desire, that satisfaction only persists for some time and then desire arises again and so on. It helped.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:35 pm

LXNDR wrote:i know it's not impossible to not feel hunger, experience of people who do therapeutic fasting proves that, primarily mental hunger, but even physical hunger, if it's there, only lasts for a couple of days
Huh? What proof?

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:24 am

Mkoll wrote:
lonewolf wrote:

I'd be very surprised if you can go a day without eating and without feeling hunger.

It's also much easier to say "I can go without A, B, C, etc." than to actually do it, especially for a long time.
It's not as hard as it sounds. For those who lead structured life and have 3 meals a day same time every day, I can imagine it being hard. I can, I've been doing it for years, if I am not hungry I don't eat. There is no structure to when I eat. Besides on days you don't eat solid food, milk, and V8 will give you all the protein, vitamins you need, you still drink. It's a different approach, you don't eat because it's time to, you eat because you are genuinely hungry. Like anything it takes time to get used to, after you do it's not a big deal at all.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 am

Zom wrote:
Non-existence is a lot more attractive to me than any form of existence ever was, and I can't see any negative side to it. Unfortunatelly, non-existence is an unachievable dream.

That's a good suggestion, will use it. Thank you.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 am

lonewolf wrote:Yes it is a form of greed, with it's own specific flavor, other forms of greed are not as alluring. I am celibate, and want to stay that way, but it is a struggle for now.
When I was celibate I used to look at and investigate pictures of autopsies, dead bodies and corpses whenever sexual desire arose within me. Mental images often did not have the strenght for the arising of insight into the nature of the human body. It was helpful and disenchanting. Sexual desire had never continued when I was looking at skulls and stuff. I also pondered the drawbacks of giving in to sensual desire, that it does only lead to more desire, that it doesn't lead to an end of desire, that satisfaction only persists for some time and then desire arises again and so on. It helped.

best wishes, acinteyyo[/quote]

I see, seems like a graphic version of the cemetery meditations. That much is for sure, you either conquer desire, or it will control you.

Regards.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:37 am

lonewolf wrote:
Mkoll wrote:I'd be very surprised if you can go a day without eating and without feeling hunger.

It's not as hard as it sounds. For those who lead structured life and have 3 meals a day same time every day, I can imagine it being hard. I can, I've been doing it for years, if I am not hungry I don't eat. There is no structure to when I eat. Besides on days you don't eat solid food, milk, and V8 will give you all the protein, vitamins you need, you still drink. It's a different approach, you don't eat because it's time to, you eat because you are genuinely hungry. Like anything it takes time to get used to, after you do it's not a big deal at all.
So you drink milk and V8 on days you don't eat at all?