Cannabis

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Mkoll

Re: Cannabis

Post by Mkoll »

dennis wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Hi dennis,

Is "aspie" short for Asperger's?
I deliberatly apply the label at times. If I enter a online discussion my lack of social experience eventually becomes evident and some people, such as some concerned individuals in this thread, become curious/worried and this is what I offer.

I guess, for some, people with labels are not their favorite kind of people because it's generally at this point people "fade." After over 7 decades this is still the story of my life. My hope is someday people will hear the word "aspie" and not run from but toward the bearer of this description; pretty unrealistic, huh?

Kind of puts a cramp in my learning of Buddhism through others (if you know what i mean). But i keep trying because it's the only way i know.
:namaste:
I just read an interesting article called: Do you have to be nuts to be a genius? It's a pretty interesting hypothesis and I imagine it is true in many cases.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
dennis

Post by dennis »

Mkoll wrote:
dennis wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Hi dennis,

Is "aspie" short for Asperger's?
I deliberatly apply the label at times. If I enter a online discussion my lack of social experience eventually becomes evident and some people, such as some concerned individuals in this thread, become curious/worried and this is what I offer.

I guess, for some, people with labels are not their favorite kind of people because it's generally at this point people "fade." After over 7 decades this is still the story of my life. My hope is someday people will hear the word "aspie" and not run from but toward the bearer of this description; pretty unrealistic, huh?

Kind of puts a cramp in my learning of Buddhism through others (if you know what i mean). But i keep trying because it's the only way i know.
:namaste:
I just read an interesting article called: Do you have to be nuts to be a genius? It's a pretty interesting hypothesis and I imagine it is true in many cases.
Thank you Mkoll. Some (mostly aspies?) compile lists of people who had AS or were expected to have had AS and include Nobel winners and Albert Einstein. I'm not sure if there's a relationship.
But I believe I do notice more "global thinking" (vs. regimented straight line thought) in Buddhists on occasion. I've not considered this in relation to my (and others) "aspie-ness", but I will now; thank you.

My description of the phrase "global thinking" is taken from a comparison of Western thought processes and Chinese; the Chinese being the users of "global thinking" and Western people using the straight line thinking process. I see this is now a common concept and can be reviewed online. If aspies and other "nuts", as a group, use this "global thinking" process, then I believe this could provide an advantage.
:namaste: friend
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

dennis wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:Many jurisdictions around the world are legalizing cannabis for medicinal use and a few are allowing it for recreational use. The Buddha, who was often ahead of his time, allowed cannabis for medicinal usage, but certainly not for recreation.

See: http://buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=68

I gather from the OP that you are referring to recreational use. Nothing good can come of that, only heedlessness, over-eating, sluggishness and other problems.
I followed the link to discover, according to the article, that The Buddha recommended marijuana use for rheumatism. Would you happen to know if he also said this would have an effect on the user's meditation practice?

Do you feel that the user's meditation practice would not be detrimentally affected by the above marijuana use for medical reasons? Why?

If I used marijuana for a debilitating condition would this mean I should not expect to have fruitful meditation, or that results would be somehow "lessened?" Is there historic evidence for this or is it all personal speculation?

Would you suggest foregoing other types of medication to enhance your meditation? Is there "any" evidence as to what extent other forms of medication affect meditation?

As far as "heedlessness, over-eating, sluggishness and other problems" I'll admit to not being perfect in any of these areas but I find the problems, when smoking, fade once you know (FOR EXAMPLE) that "weed" causes the "munchies" and use your new knowledge to modify your actions. Is this really so hard to comprehend?

Due to my using medical cannabis for my serious medical condition I find this works well for me. Marijuana is not a drug that makes you go out of your mind; you're very well aware of what transpires and how you approach the situation controls it's effects. Personally I feel "heedlessness, over-eating, sluggishness and other problems" are not characteristics exclusive to marijuana users but inclusive of everyone, and everyone has their own approach and answers for these states; and some, marijuana users or not, have more or less success in facing them.

At least this is where I am at this time.

Hello dennis, aka ZenDen. :smile:

Good to see you here. Let me introduce myself: I am the nice version of the person behind this nickname. The semi-scumbag version you know rarely shows up in Dhamma Wheel. :mrgreen: :embarassed:

On the subject matter: if you face an illness and are forced to take medications that alter your mind, the best way to do it, imo, is by minimizing this necessary "evil". It seems to me that this is exactly what you're doing. It is natural that people assume drug users are fooling themselves when taking marijuana for medicinal purposes. It's a serious problem in psychiatry, for example. And, of course, it's an universal behaviour to fool ourselves to do something that is of short time benefit, but long time loss. This concern probably wasn't expressed in the most skillful way possible, though.

In short: you seem to be doing what's exactly right. And there was neither lack of social skills on your part nor that perception in others, as far as I can tell.

Metta

PS: I had to leave the other forum. It was driving me nuts to discuss politics. As I explained to TallyMan, when he was kind enough to try to convince me to stay there, I am incapable of discussing politics without geting angry. It's just like those people who cannot watch a football game on TV without screaming to the screen. It was probably of no help to others and it was very detrimental to me. It doesn't mean I was wrong, though. ;)
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
dennis

Post by dennis »

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I appreciate support, in any fashion. In my newness every criticism will help me grow and metta and karuna blossom in my mind, similar to my "egg shell" being broken when I discovered my AS about 3 years ago. Thank you so much.

I believe engineered social pressure for political reasons can (and does occasionally, as I can personally attest) make fools of us all. The pressure of social change and the reasons for it are fed us in print and on-air constantly and everyone is involved, on a daily basis, financially, ethically, and any way you can imagine.....and each power group or political party has it's own agenda and we all become honed to a political "razor's edge." My answer is to not spend much time thinking about things I can not change; I believe I read this is also what is taught; works pretty well for me. It's not equanimity but it's not bad either. :D

I especially enjoyed myself in that contentious part of the forum discussing "free will" with Philosopher123, and have seen discussions turn into disagreements rapidly. It's almost as though that portion of the forum is "the wild wild west" and people see this as a reason/license to let-off-steam. Maybe, at a particular time, for some people, it's a good thing? I like to think so. :D

I hope your day is beginning well my friend.

It's now time for me to put this away for the night. :zzz:

dennis

Post by dennis »

Mkoll wrote: I just read an interesting article called: Do you have to be nuts to be a genius? It's a pretty interesting hypothesis and I imagine it is true in many cases.
Thank you Mkoll. Some (mostly aspies?) compile lists of people who had AS or were expected to have had AS and include Nobel winners and Albert Einstein. I'm not sure if there's a relationship.
But I believe I do notice more "global thinking" (vs. regimented straight line thought) in Buddhists on occasion. I've not considered this in relation to my (and others) "aspie-ness", but I will now; thank you.

My description of the phrase "global thinking" is taken from a comparison of Western thought processes and Chinese; the Chinese being the users of "global thinking" and Western people using the straight line thinking process. I see this is now a common concept and can be reviewed online. If aspies and other "nuts", as a group, use this "global thinking" process, then I believe this could provide an advantage.
:namaste: friend[/quote]

Hi friend James. I'm adding this addendum to my post because I'm ashamed to say I gave you a less than proper answer because in my self-induced haste I did not reflect properly on your question. The above explanation, although technically correct, is not complete to my abilities.

For the missing portion of my answer I'd like to refer to a small book by Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki called: Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. In this book he posits the return to a beginner's mind based on the theory that pre-conceived ideas about subjects can/will/does inhibit new ideas from forming. He exhorts his readers to maintain a Beginner's Mind. I believe this Teaching and attempt this. This is an approach I use to learning and understanding, that works for me.

About 45 years ago I learned and accepted a lesson about fresh minds giving us fresh ideas (and to reserve my automatic disdain) and have followed that thought since, so I expect this portion of Master Suzuki's fine book may "resonate" more strongly with me than with others, but not overly, I feel. I hope this helps fill in the gaps of my unskillful post.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Hi dennis,

No worries, your posts are conscientious from what I've seen.

That book was a also a "wake-up call" for me back in the day before I learned about Theravada.