Should We Neuter or Spay Animals?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
SarathW

Re: Should We Neuter or Spay Animals?

Post by SarathW »

Hi Blackbird
I think you and I have lot of thing in common except, that you went from city to the jungle and I came from jungle to the city. I do not have any practical experience which you have but I just realise these problems through deduction.
Buddha never asked us to chase snakes or mosquitoes. In fact he said that the best environment for the meditater is a place free from all these problems.
--------------------------------
§ 52. These are the five factors for exertion. Which five?
[2] The monk is free from illness & discomfort, endowed with good digestion — not too cold, not too hot, of moderate strength — fit for exertion.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... part2.html
--------------------------------------
That is why I tell people that the best place to meditate is behind closed doors!
I do not like manipulating nature too much. I think we are digging a big hole and one day we will not be able to come out of it. Eg: Antibiotics
I think mosquitoes are here for a reason and they will be extinct when the time is right.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

SarathW wrote: I think mosquitoes are here for a reason and they will be extinct when the time is right.
Hi Sarath, that's where we differ, you see I don't think there's any reason for Sangsara at all, nor individual variations of animals or insects. Naturally from an environmental perspective there are some species we should preserve. There are many delicate ecosystems that require certain species to maintain the balance. Malaria vector mosquitos are not among this group. We're not talking about the extinction of all mosquitos, just the species that are vectors for serious diseases. There are a large number of different types of mosquitos and we're only talking about the extinction of a few of those.

I find it interesting that you interpret that there is a 'reason' for mosquitos being around. Out of interest do you think there is a meaning to a lot of thing? Is there meaning to this life or this universe.

Personally I follow the Buddha's reasoning on this one: That the only true purpose in existence is to realize nibbana. Thus our world, and all other worlds in the universe are a matter of chaotic evolution, and there is no 'reason' per say for anything.

That's just my view though, I feel it accords with the Buddha's teachings, but I do not mean to denigrate others views on the matter :)

with metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

All for it...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi BB
You said:
“That the only true purpose in existence is to realize nibbana.”
Where did you get this idea from?
Please leave your reply in the following link. I don’t want to side track the OP.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16076
Thanks
:)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

appicchato wrote:All for it...
Do you mean human animal too? :)
manas

Post by manas »

BlackBird wrote:
SarathW wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:What about neutering and spaying humans, seems like a good idea to me, as long as its voluntary!!!
I would have asked “Why don’t we neuter or spay mosquitoes and flies as well?”
They're working on that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... laria.html
There's a risk that, by interfering with Nature in this way, we end up doing more harm than good, in the long run. If this plan really does only impact upon the mosquitoes that carry malaria, then it might be acceptable, at least from a human perspective, to totally eliminate them. But if it somehow ended up impacting on other types of mosquitoes as well, then the many small mammals that rely on mosquitoes for food, such as some bats, would go extinct along with the mosquitoes. We should proceed with extreme caution before willfully making any species extinct, even the ones that cause us disease. When human beings meddle with Nature, they usually end up making things worse. All species of this planet exist in a complex and interconnected Web of Life, and the more we reduce biodiversity (as a rule), the more that intricate balance gets disrupted. We should know this by now.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

SarathW wrote:Hi BB
You said:
“That the only true purpose in existence is to realize nibbana.”
Where did you get this idea from?
Please leave your reply in the following link. I don’t want to side track the OP.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16076
Thanks
:)
I have responded. I would appreciate it if you answered my question though, ideally in our new thread:
Out of interest do you think there is a meaning to a lot of thing? Is there meaning to this life or this universe?
metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

SarathW wrote:
Earth's human population is on the short list of things that will (if the current trend continues) doom us sooner rather than later...it's a proposition (to me) definitely worth considering... :pig:
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

I'd like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we... are the cure.
Says Agent Smith.
Looks like humans are the one needs to be spayed first...
manas

Post by manas »

barcsimalsi wrote:
I'd like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we... are the cure.
Says Agent Smith.
Looks like humans are the one needs to be spayed first...
Large scale sterilization might help to reduce the burgeoning and utterly unsustainable growth of human population. People could be offered substantial cash incentives to have the procedure done (which should always be completely voluntary). They could then use the money to gain better access to education, which could improve their lives and the planet, rather then just popping out yet more humans. If we don't correct ourselves, eventual food shortages, hunger, disease and starvation will. So it would save a lot of pain and trouble if we started on such a program now, imo.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I think everyone should be given birth control through the water or something, and you have to pass a parenthood test to prove you're going to be able to provide everything the child needs, both materially and emotionally. Both means tests and character tests would have to be passed before you could have a child.

That way we control the massive overpopulation of this globe and we stop child abuse dead in it's tracks, and ensure that the vast majority of children grow up in loving and caring homes.

Honestly, without oil our planet can only support about 2 billion people. We're headed to 8 billion within the next 20 years, can we really afford to have 6 billion people die off from famine, disease etc when the oil runs out and we no longer have access to the fertalizers and pesticides we've used to generate the agricultural revolution?

I would rather gradually reduce the population by enforced birth control, than have people suffer through famine, war and epidemics.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jack

I think many of us have witnessed things and have worried about the state of the world and have from time to time considered similar solutions.
It looks like as a species we are arriving at a crunch. Something has got to give - that is for sure.
What I have noticed is that as societies have developed a middle class and generally increased in prosperity, birth rates go down.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
dagon

Post by dagon »

Ben wrote:Hi Jack

I think many of us have witnessed things and have worried about the state of the world and have from time to time considered similar solutions.
It looks like as a species we are arriving at a crunch. Something has got to give - that is for sure.
What I have noticed is that as societies have developed a middle class and generally increased in prosperity, birth rates go down.
kind regards,

Ben
hi Ben, Jack

as both individuals and a species we do need to think about solutions but maybe we should contemplate the wisdom of Buddhas teaching in this matter as with all matters. Yes we are clearly approaching a time where conditions are going to become more "hellish". I do not know so maybe some more knowable than me can help me. Are the conditions of our collective live in a reflection of out collective karma. i know that pondering karma outcomes is considered to be fruitless and a diversion from our real business of trying to break the cycle for our selves and showing compassion for other. As usual i don't remember to source, help.

My limited understanding of what Buddha taught was that he provided us with the path he found with his enlightenment, and that it was our free choice if we chose to take the refuges and follow the path. Because of this, imposed solutions do not appear to sit comfortably with me. An imposed solution of the model describes would require that people make choices about the suitability of others to be parents - choices that would be making of unenlightened people. if economic conditions were one of the determining factors then generally those most motivated by greed would be the most likely to qualify !

Yes the world and its material resources are becoming more stressed, of that there can be no question. as some one who aspires to bring the teaching of The Buddha in to my life i find it hard to believe that running short of pesticides is such a bad thing - many aspects of the green revolution are negative. before i am considered to be uncaring there are other solutions that we did not know of at the time of the green Revelation - SRI method rice cultivation is one that comes to mind and sits more comfortably with my beliefs.

Ben i total agree that there is a direct correlation between increasing middle-class and lower family size - but is this caused by wealth or education. Not withstanding that, maybe if there was more compassion and giving to those in more need would this not life the living standards of the poorest who all to often have the large families that they can not support.

With respect and Metta
paul
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

appicchato wrote:
SarathW wrote:
Earth's human population is on the short list of things that will (if the current trend continues) doom us sooner rather than later...it's a proposition (to me) definitely worth considering... :pig:
---------------
It seems becoming a father or mother is not such bad thing. :)
------------------
I tell you, monks, there are two people who are not easy to repay. Which two? Your mother & father. Even if you were to carry your mother on one shoulder & your father on the other shoulder for 100 years, and were to look after them by anointing, massaging, bathing, & rubbing their limbs, and they were to defecate & urinate right there (on your shoulders), you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. If you were to establish your mother & father in absolute sovereignty over this great earth, abounding in the seven treasures, you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. Why is that? Mother & father do much for their children. They care for them, they nourish them, they introduce them to this world. But anyone who rouses his unbelieving mother & father, settles & establishes them in conviction; rouses his unvirtuous mother & father, settles & establishes them in virtue; rouses his stingy mother & father, settles & establishes them in generosity; rouses his foolish mother & father, settles & establishes them in discernment [§117]: To this extent one pays & repays one's mother & father.

— AN 2.31-32

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... part3.html
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic. It obvious that most of you are supportive of neutering, though some of you also voice a concern on whether it is right.

When I first heard of this, I immediately disliked the idea. I thought, "I wouldn't want this to be done to me." Later I questioned that initial response. The arguments for it sounds reasonable. I thought, "Have I decided against it because of an attachment to old views?" Yet, it still didn't sit well in my mind, though it did soften my initial viewpoint.

I wonder: Shouldn't we consider this to be inflicting violence on another? Since the rationale is overpopulation, and humans are heading in that direction too (as some of you noted), would you neuter your children (if you have them)?

I thought about why well-meaning people would make special effort to neuter animals, and the reason is clear: They believe that it would reduce suffering. This seems to make perfect sense, especially in places where there are a lot of unwanted strays. Neutering them would prevent birth of more strays, which being unwanted would likely live a miserable life. The prevented suffering would be greater than the suffering of neutering, right?

So, it makes sense. However, this is only true within the materialistic world view. When we take into account a larger world view of kamma and rebirth, we may question if suffering is actually reduced.

Say that dog in the picture provided earlier. If one of his parents were neutered, would he come to being as a dog? Not as an offspring due to their copulation, but with his kamma to be born as a dog of a miserable life, he would be born elsewhere to experience the results of his kamma, right?

Let's say even those other dogs are neutered. Let's say *all* unwanted strays are neutered. It's an improbable prospect, but let's just say that the neutering projects around the world has been that successful. What happens to the kamma of all the unborn dogs with kamma waiting to be ripen?
... whatever action is done out of greed, hatred or delusion ... will ripen wherever the individual is reborn; and wherever the action ripens, there the individual experiences the fruit, be it in this life, or in the next life, or in subsequent future lives.
~ Nidana Sutta (AN 3.34) From Bhikkhu Bodhi’s Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, p. 49-50
So, even without any dogs to be born into, the law of kamma will find its way. Right?

Anyway, this is my tentative view. Please feel free to contradict.