Potential wasp nest problm

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Digity

Potential wasp nest problm

Post by Digity »

There's a possibility wasps have built a nest in the outside wall of my house under the siding. I saw a bunch of them in my inclosed porch. I sprayed them with a hose and swatted them away one by one with a broom. I don't want to kill any, but I'm worried if they built a nest into the wall of my house I'll need to get an exterminator or something to destroy the nest. Things could get worse and they could get into the attic. What do you do in these situations? Just let the critters run amok? Most people would say just kill 'me, but obviously I don't want to do that.
tiltbillings

Re: Potential wasp nest problm

Post by tiltbillings »

Digity wrote:ThI don't want to do that.
But you may have to, given that they are not going to go away on there own, having set up their nest.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Remove it before the community gets larger, by taking it with your hand and taking it out. You might get stung a few times but it will be worth it to move the nest out.

Have you tried that?

Kevin
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Get some good powerful DEET insect repellent, (maybe around 50%) and spray a circle around the nest. Not in the nest, but around it, maybe 50cm away from it.
Do this at night, and quickly. Then run away!
The next day the wasps will be annoyed by the repellent, and will hopefully leave in the next few days.
If they don't leave, spray a little closer after a few days.
Repeat until they decide they've had enough and go away.

They'll either leave, or you'll create a race of super deet-resistant killer wasps.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

James the Giant wrote:... you'll create a race of super deet-resistant killer wasps.
Yay!!
:jumping:

... but really, I think they will leave.
If they don't, it may be a case of their health or yours.
:juggling:

:namaste:
Kim
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Wasps wont land on vegetable oil , use it on our sugar feeder for birds .
Just use a can that you that you spray oil on a baking tray
Digity

Post by Digity »

I didn't find a nest...that's why I said "potential wasp nest problem". I saw some wasps near a crack in the siding of my house up near the roof. I think they might have a nest underneath the siding. If so, then it's not visible to me, since it's under the siding of the house. However, if you see a wasp coming out of the cracks of the siding I think it means there might be nest there. Also, I'm just noticing a ton more near the front of my house...so they gotta be coming from somewhere. If I'm right about the nest I'll have to get some exterminator, because I don't feel comfortable getting up high on my house and spraying anything to eliminate them. I'm a big wuss around wasps...I'll probably freak out and fall off the ladder and break my neck.

Up to this point I've been able to deal with them in non-lethal ways. It's more difficult to do this humanely, but I try. I'm just saying, if I discover it's a nest in the siding I think I'm going to have to get them exterminated, but don't like the idea of that since it breaks the precepts. I'm not willing to do anything that will involve me getting stung. I might have an allergic reaction and I if I do I've heard that each time you get stung again the reaction is worse. It just seems bad to have to break the precepts...but I don't know what else to do. I hope it's nothing and these wasps just go away in the coming days. We'll see, but here in Canada Spring/Summer is in full swing and wasps are pretty active.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Virgo wrote:Remove it before the community gets larger, by taking it with your hand and taking it out. You might get stung a few times but it will be worth it to move the nest out.

Have you tried that?

Kevin
Are you serious?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Digity wrote:
Virgo wrote:Remove it before the community gets larger, by taking it with your hand and taking it out. You might get stung a few times but it will be worth it to move the nest out.

Have you tried that?

Kevin
Are you serious?
Wasp stings really hurt, and heaven forbid if you are allegic, but then if you are allegeric after a short time after being stung, hurting won't matter anymore, nor will anything else, except your kamma.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Digity wrote:if they built a nest into the wall of my house I'll need to get an exterminator or something to destroy the nest. Things could get worse and they could get into the attic. What do you do in these situations? Just let the critters run amok?
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think the number one problem is your own mind. There is no guarantee these wasps will actually become a problem for you. You just see them, get pessimistic and then bother yourself about hypothetical future problems. There are plenty of things that can be done. I think the wisest and most simple is, as you suggest, just to keep watching the wasps, and also your mind. Hopefully, the nest will remain small and you will be able to remove it at fall without any trouble.

In the worst possible case you can always call a professional to come do the job. Then it's not your responsibility how they do it, provided you will have made reasonable effort to find a professional who will hurt the wasps as little as possible.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sekha wrote: Hopefully, the nest will remain small and you will be able to remove it at fall without any trouble.
Or it could get extremely large. Best to deal with it when it very small.

Sekha

Post by Sekha »

tiltbillings wrote:
Sekha wrote: Hopefully, the nest will remain small and you will be able to remove it at fall without any trouble.
Or it could get extremely large. Best to deal with it when it very small.
Well, if it's under the siding, it's unlikely to be the case. Anyway, one can keep watching if it really gets bigger or not. It's not like it will triple its size overnight.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I'd go for exrermination over the potential risk of anphalaxysis to you or someone else that got too close. I've read that unlike most bees, most wasps will just sting for the heck of it. (bees die after stinging and wasps don't unless vengeance is taken upon them...so the bee needs to conserve their venom where the wasp can be much more liberal)

An epipen might be good to have for yourself, but what about the kid chasing their baseball?

I'm not a doctor so don't take me for my word. ;)
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Mojo wrote:I'd go for extermination
and what about the first precept?
True followers of the Buddha's teaching are supposed to be ready to die for their moral values.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sekha wrote:
Mojo wrote:I'd go for extermination
and what about the first precept?
True followers of the Buddha's teaching are supposed to be ready to die for their moral values.
One should die rather than kill the wasps?