Are there any monographs on Jain monastic rules in English?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
sma

Are there any monographs on Jain monastic rules in English?

Post by sma »

I am very curious about Jain monastic rules and the way it influenced Buddhist precepts. Can anybody kindly give me some recommendations? :namaste:
Last edited by sma on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Are there any monographs on Jain monastic rules in English?

Post by DNS »

It's very similar to Theravada Buddhism. They follow the five main precepts (almost identical to Buddhism):

1. non-violence – ahiṃsā
2. truth – satya
3. non-stealing – acaurya or asteya
4. celibacy – brahmacarya (for monks and nuns, no sexual misconduct for lay people)
5. non-attachment or non-possession – aparigraha.

They go on alms rounds like Theravada monastics for their food, eating once or at the most twice a day, all before 12 nooon.

I haven't found the complete list of all monastic rules though, but I imagine that is almost identical to the Vinaya too.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DNS wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:49 pm
It's very similar to Theravada Buddhism. They follow the five main precepts (almost identical to Buddhism):

1. non-violence – ahiṃsā
2. truth – satya
3. non-stealing – acaurya or asteya
4. celibacy – brahmacarya (for monks and nuns, no sexual misconduct for lay people)
5. non-attachment or non-possession – aparigraha.

They go on alms rounds like Theravada monastics for their food, eating once or at the most twice a day, all before 12 nooon.

I haven't found the complete list of all monastic rules though, but I imagine that is almost identical to the Vinaya too.
then why most were reborn in hell or lower realms? is it only jains who voilated above precept?
conceit is responsible for irritation

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

confusedlayman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:32 pm
then why most were reborn in hell or lower realms? is it only jains who voilated above precept?
Do the suttas say that? I only recall one reference to Mahavira going to a hell, which may have been Buddhist propaganda against a competing religion. Many of the Jains referred to in the Suttas converted to Buddhism after being convinced in debate. The Buddha told some Jain converts to Buddhism to continue giving alms to Jain monks too.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DNS wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:11 pm
confusedlayman wrote:
Do the suttas say that? I only recall one reference to Mahavira going to a hell, which may have been Buddhist propaganda against a competing religion. Many of the Jains referred to in the Suttas converted to Buddhism after being convinced in debate. The Buddha told some Jain converts to Buddhism to continue giving alms to Jain monks too.
Mogalana said he saw more jains who didnt lead upright life gone to hell like that...

not living upright life is having wrong view or just 5 precept violation?

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

confusedlayman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:13 pm
DNS wrote:
confusedlayman wrote:
Mogalana said he saw more jains who didnt lead upright life gone to hell like that...

Do you have the sutta reference so we could see the full story?

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DNS wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:14 pm
confusedlayman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:13 pm
DNS wrote:

Do you have the sutta reference so we could see the full story?
mogallana death scence in access to insight...

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Okay found the reference.
After the death of Nathaputta, the leader of the ascetic Order of the Jains (Jinas),[10] there arose among his followers bitter contentions about his teaching, and consequently there was a loss of devoted adherents and of support. The Jains had also learned what Moggallana reported from his celestial travels: that virtuous devotees of the Buddha were seen to have a heavenly rebirth while followers of other sects lacking moral conduct, had fallen into miserable, sub-human states of existence. This, too, contributed to the decline in the reputation of other sects, including the Jains.

Particularly the very lowest type of Jains in Magadha were so enraged about that loss of public esteem and support that they wanted to get rid of Moggallana. Without investigating the causes in themselves, they projected blame externally and concentrated their envy and hate on Maha-Moggallana. Hesitating to commit a murder themselves, they conceived another plan. Even in those days there were professional criminals ready to do a killing for payment. There are always unscrupulous men willing to do anything for money. So some evil-minded Jains hired such a gang and ordered them to kill Moggallana.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... .html#ch10
So apparently it was because of "lacking moral conduct" so yes, violating basic sila and also plotted his murder; so not simply because they were Jains, but because of evil conduct.