Practicing one of the eight precepts for a long time V.S. Practicing all of them for a shorter time

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
oak1

Practicing one of the eight precepts for a long time V.S. Practicing all of them for a shorter time

Post by oak1 »

:anjali:

Lately, I have been setting and following up on the intention to follow the third of the eight precepts for longer periods of time. I find this worthwhile in the sense that I do not expose myself to disappointment and use my time for more purposeful things. However, it is challenging me to the extent that I do not feel able to also observe all the eight precepts on an uposatha day.

Would it be more worthwhile to practice with observing all the eight precepts for shorter amounts of time than what I am doing now?

May you be well
Swatantra

Re: Practicing one of the eight precepts for a long time V.S. Practicing all of them for a shorter time

Post by Swatantra »

Greetings :anjali:

I find that people naturally follow some easier than others. If you find yourself able to follow some of them more easily then I would try focusing more on the ones you find more challenging. You can still practice some of the others if they come naturally at the same time as one more challenging one.
Do you get what I am trying to explain?
Also everyone works in different ways. So for me, I would try and practice multiple at a time whilst bringing attention to myself if I was about to do wrong in another. I think however you chose to do it, if you have right intention and you try and practice then you will succeed :smile:
:heart:
"One is not noble who has injures living beings.
One is called 'noble' because they are harmless to all living beings."

:heart: :yingyang:

"Silent in body, silent in speech,
Silent in the mind, without defilement,
Blessed is silence is the sage.
One is truely washed of evil."
User156079

Re: Practicing one of the eight precepts for a long time V.S. Practicing all of them for a shorter time

Post by User156079 »

Just try to practise as many as you can for as long as you can imo. There is no categorical answer to this. In periods where you meditate a lot it is wise to take on as many precepts as you can handle, when you get caught up in other affairs you can cut yourself some slack until you feel like intensifying it again.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

I think practicing all of them helps one remove from the self and see outside oneself.

I say all of them ;)

Practice, Practice, Practice