Bhante Bodhidhamma, Satipanya

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
roseapple

Bhante Bodhidhamma, Satipanya

Post by roseapple »

I have been listening to Dhamma talks by Bhante Bodhidhamma which I found at:

http://www.satipanya.org.uk/

and I thought they were great. He has a wonderful way of talking about Dhamma & practice.
Very, very helpful.

Has anyone sat with Bhante Bodhidhamma, done a retreat at Satipanya?

Roseapple
Ben

Re: Bhante Bodhidhamma, Satipanya

Post by Ben »

roseapple wrote:Has anyone sat with Bhante Bodhidhamma, done a retreat at Satipanya?
No, not me. Though, I am happy you find benefit with Bhante's teachings!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Colly

Post by Colly »

I have been on retreats led by Bhante a here in Ireland, he comes over about twice a year.

He really is a very warm person, his dhamma talks are delivered with great clarity and good humour; always grounded and practical.

He has a book available either online on the Satipanya website or hard copy delivered by Wisdom books (at cost of delivery only):

http://www.satipanya.org.uk/index.php?p ... uragements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wisdom-books.com/SiteSearchR ... Submit=+Go+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also talks available on You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psMgFuXV ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you think?!

Good luck,
Col.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Good stuff. Thanks.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
roseapple

Post by roseapple »

thanks for the info. & links Col.

I agree completely that Bhante's talks are "delivered with great clarity and good humour; always grounded and practical"
I would recommend them to others, unreservedly.
listened to the one called "vedana" about 5 times in a row, so clear about how to actually practice - both sitting and in daily life

How lucky we are to live in a time when dhamma is easily available on the web to download and listen whenever we want!

roseapple
Colly

Post by Colly »

True - a cyber sangha is invaluable! My two young boys keep me plenty busy, so feeling part of an online community is great; can't make many sittings with my local group.

I just came across this resource the other day and am still kind of figuring it all out.

Thanks for the welcome.
SeekingDharma

Post by SeekingDharma »

Thank you for the links provided here. The youtube talk was one of the best talks I have ever seen on the topic of meditation. I want to think about it and watch it again soon.
Colly

Post by Colly »

Glad the links were of some use.

Might also be interested in checking out some of Gil Fronsdal's talks at the below link, of course all are free.

He is the principle Vipassana meditation teacher at the Insight Meditation Centre in Redwood City, with a background in Zen too. There are a battery of talks to stream or download from this site.

http://www.zencast.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any recommendations (books, online, videos etc.) please post, as I may have mentioned I am buried knee deep in nappies and the financial crisis here; so getting my local group is nigh on impossible!
jd84

Post by jd84 »

Hi, Yes I sat a retreat at satipanya last summer and am going back in a weeks time. He is a great teacher, very motivating and inspiring and very funny too. Satipanya is a lovely place to meditate.

Jon