Neurochemistry of meditation.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Moog

Neurochemistry of meditation.

Post by Moog »

I've asked a similar question before on another forum, but did not receive a very satisfying response.

Does anyone have any idea what goes on in the brain when one meditates? Has there been any science published that I might refer to?

:anjali:
Jack

Re: Neurochemistry of meditation.

Post by Jack »

Moog wrote:I've asked a similar question before on another forum, but did not receive a very satisfying response.

Does anyone have any idea what goes on in the brain when one meditates? Has there been any science published that I might refer to?

====
I suggest you read the book Destructive Emotions by Daniel Goleman. There is a lot in it about this. If I remember correctly, one experiment was on a monk who was able to switch meditation methods instantly. He went through 8 different meditation methods with about 5 minutes for each meditation. Brain waves showed different effects on the brain with each method.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Moog,

There's a lot of research on this topic, I think you'll find useful the links:

http://dhamma.ru/forum/index.php?topic= ... 30#msg8130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes, Dmytro
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

A lot of EEG and neuroimaging (mainly MRT and fMRT) studies have been done. One of the most active group are the people around Richard Davidson (http://www.investigatinghealthyminds.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but it's a rapidly growing field of research with new research centers popping up everywhere.

I haven't come across studies that investigated the neurochemistry specifically but Leigh Brasington updated his Jhana webpage recently with a tentative hypothesis of how the jhana factors might interact with neurotransmitters: http://www.leighb.com/jhananeuro.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moog

Post by Moog »

Cool, you guys are awesome. Many thanks!

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

You can always get the latest by checking out sciencedaily.com http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=meditation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Calahand

Post by Calahand »

Moog wrote:I've asked a similar question before on another forum, but did not receive a very satisfying response.

The prefrontal cortex is particularly well developed in meditators... it is the region of the brain that allows us to rise above urges like sex, things like violence etc. There was a psychiatrist who was telling me that there was evidence that meditators increase connections in the frontal cortex, but I can't find that study anywhere.
I found this though... enjoy

"Stress Management as a Treatment Option
There has been little investigation of effective stress management techniques for children with ADHD. Most research on ADHD and stress management focuses on parents and their interaction with the child. One study of a stress management program for ADHD children examined its effectiveness in improving self-concept, locus of control, and acquisition of appropriate coping strategies. The study compared a therapist-led, group, stress management program; stress-management techniques taught by the parents using provided workbook and videotapes; and a control group with no intervention. In acquisition of coping skills, there were no significant changes in any of the three groups. Children in the therapist-led group did report more appropriate coping strategies (Gonzalez, 2002).

Meditation

Meditation is becoming common as a means of coping with stress and improving psychosocial factors. Although there are many forms of meditation, researchers generally classify them into two categories: techniques of concentration or techniques of contemplation (Shapiro, 1982). Each of these techniques uses different processes, and thus has different effects (Orme-Johnson, & Walton, 1998). In meditation practices involving concentration, such as Zen meditation, the practitioner focuses on something specific such as an event, image, or sound, trying to direct all of his or her attention to a single focal point. Contemplative techniques include mindfulness meditation practices, a secularized version of Vipassana or Insight meditation. The goal is to be aware of any and all thoughts and sensations while trying not to judge or become actively involved in the thoughts (Shapiro, 1982). This type of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) technique can be practiced throughout daily activity.

Coupled with cognitive behavioral therapy, MBSR treatments have been studied for depression relapse, borderline personality disorder, and anxiety disorders (Segal, Williams, & Teasdale, 2002). Recent research of a MBSR technique showed decreases in perceived stress and symptoms among a clinical population with stress-related problems, illness, anxiety, and chronic pain (Carmody & Baer, 2007).

There is a growing body of research on the beneficial effects of meditation not only as a stress-coping mechanism, but also in improving brain function. Research suggests that meditation can change neural activity (Newberg et al., 2006), alter dopamine levels in the brain (Jevning, 1978; Kjaer et al., 2002) and change EEG patterns (Travis, 2001; Travis & Wallace, 1999).

Researchers are just beginning to explore the use of meditation for attention and ADHD symptoms. A study of Sahaja Yoga meditation as an intensive family treatment program with children with ADHD found improvements in children’s ADHD behavior, self-esteem, and relationships with their families (Harison, Manocha, & Rubia, 2004). In non-ADHD subjects Mha, Krompinger and Baine (2007) found that MBSR may improve attention-related neural responses. A recent feasibility study of ADHD adults and adolescents using MBSR noted improvements in ADHD symptoms based on self-report and improvements on performance measures of attention (Zylowska, et al., 2007). "

This is from : http://cie.asu.edu/volume10/number2/#Results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moog

Post by Moog »

That's incredibly interesting to me right now, Calahand. I suspect that I have undiagnosed ADHD/executive function disorder and am mildly autistic. This suggests that I have an underdeveloped fore brain. I feel that meditation practice has been very useful to me in alleviating a lot of these problems. I would like to help spread the good word about meditation to other folk like myself, and cogent scientific research is always very useful.

I am very grateful to you all for the information you point me to.

The study there mentions 'transcendental meditation'. What exactly is this kind of meditation?

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Moog wrote: The study there mentions 'transcendental meditation'. What exactly is this kind of meditation?
"Transcendental Meditation" (aka TM) is a secularised form of Hindu mantra meditation popularised by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi forty years ago. If you are old enough you may vaguely remember his celebrity devotees included at least one of the Beatles.
Google tells me it's still active: http://tm.org.au/. Wikipedia gives a more objective account at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_Meditation.
:namaste:
Kim
Calahand

Post by Calahand »

Moog wrote:That's incredibly interesting to me right now, Calahand. I suspect that I have undiagnosed ADHD/executive function disorder and am mildly autistic. This suggests that I have an underdeveloped fore brain. I feel that meditation practice has been very useful to me in alleviating a lot of these problems. I would like to help spread the good word about meditation to other folk like myself, and cogent scientific research is always very useful.

I am very grateful to you all for the information you point me to.

The study there mentions 'transcendental meditation'. What exactly is this kind of meditation?

I know that transcendental meditation is similar to concentration meditation excercises that are used in buddhist practice. Any type of meditation or contemplative practice is beneficial i think whether hindu, buddhist or whatever. Good luck! :namaste:
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Moog wrote:Does anyone have any idea what goes on in the brain when one meditates?
So far as I can tell there's a tiny person in there who won't shut up. :)
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

andrer9999 wrote:So far as I can tell there's a tiny person in there who won't shut up.
I've got a rather large rabble rousing crowd. :tongue:

metta
Moog

Post by Moog »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Moog wrote: The study there mentions 'transcendental meditation'. What exactly is this kind of meditation?
"Transcendental Meditation" (aka TM) is a secularised form of Hindu mantra meditation popularised by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi forty years ago. If you are old enough you may vaguely remember his celebrity devotees included at least one of the Beatles.
Google tells me it's still active: http://tm.org.au/. Wikipedia gives a more objective account at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_Meditation.
:namaste:
Kim
Actually, I think I recall that David Lynch was into this?
Moog

Post by Moog »

Anicca wrote:
andrer9999 wrote:So far as I can tell there's a tiny person in there who won't shut up.
I've got a rather large rabble rousing crowd. :tongue:

metta
Ha, yes, more like a mob of lunatics in mine :lol:
unspoken

Post by unspoken »

Calahand wrote: The prefrontal cortex is particularly well developed in meditators... it is the region of the brain that allows us to rise above urges like sex, things like violence etc. There was a psychiatrist who was telling me that there was evidence that meditators increase connections in the frontal cortex, but I can't find that study anywhere
No wonder lately after I meditate I can feel like my brain is rushing with blood. And it's pumping hard. :meditate: