Meditation Gone Bad

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
khlawng

Meditation Gone Bad

Post by khlawng »

Hi All,

My apologies if this topic has been covered before but I did like to know if you guys have heard of any cases of people whose meditation took the wrong turn and wrong path resulting in bad experiences and even mental injury?

Personally, I know of a case of a meditator who couldn't completely get out of her meditative state resulting in mental weakness and drop in confidence to the extend of becoming afraid of loud noises and darkness. It must be noted that the meditator was using non-buddhists technic as a basis to meditate. My only knowledge was that she saw something while meditating and followed it and couldn't completely get out of the meditative state (Sorry for being sketchy and unclear about this). It took months of therapy and finally meeting a good teacher to cure her.

Thank you.
Individual

Re: Meditation Gone Bad

Post by Individual »

Did you try slapping her, shaking her really hard, or pouring cold water on her?

Making fun of her would have probably worked also.

One can't meditate the wrong way and getting lost in meditation is never a bad thing.

And actually, if you're "getting lost," it's not worthy of being called meditation; it's dreaming.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:Did you try slapping her, shaking her really hard, or pouring cold water on her?

One can't meditate the wrong way and getting lost in meditation is never a bad thing.

And actually, if you're "getting lost," it's not worthy of being called meditation; it's dreaming.
All the above is why one should really have an experienced teacher.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:
Individual wrote:Did you try slapping her, shaking her really hard, or pouring cold water on her?

"When the student is ready..."

The Diamond Sutra
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

If a person has disturbing thoughts and has aversion to them, then, when they appear in meditation, you get more disturbed than you would usualy be. If a person has a depression or OCD, it could get worse.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

"When the student is ready..."
Sure, and in the meantime assaulting someone by slapping or making fun or shaking her or such is probably not the best thing to do.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Individual

Post by Individual »

Yeah, I guess I was exaggerating.

The Diamond Sutra
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

If their head starts spinning around and they look like Linda Blair you've got problems.
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

Okay, I guess in reality there can be bad things that happen during meditation, although I did a lot of meditational experimentation with no teacher and never had anything really adverse happen.

This is just what I sort of envisioned after the slapping/cold water reply.
Urmyteacher

Post by Urmyteacher »

Sutta discusses monks meditating and results of the meditation. Some monks meditate to long and do indeed weaken the mind due to fatigue. It is like over tuning a musical instrument and the string snaps. It is wise to investigate meditation through the direction of the highest teacher in Buddhism. That being the Buddha. The path outlined in scripture. Hash it out as best you can with admirable friends involved in the holy life. Meditate sitting, stand in, walking, and lieing down. Look at the various types of meditation shyster in scripture. In addition to meditation make use of vuirtuos lifestyle changes discussed in scripture....