SN Goenka

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

SN Goenka

Post by Collective »

I've read a little about SN Goenka, he's highly praised here. Why is this, does he teach differently, or is he just an excellent teacher?

Thanks all
Sanghamitta

Re: SN Goenka

Post by Sanghamitta »

The latter largely Collective...his teaching has its own flavour but he comes from a well established school of Vipassana teachers.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Collective,

This article in Shambala Sun may be of assistance. Even the Dalai Lama sent some lamas to Goenka-ji’s courses.
The Universal Meditation Technique of S.N. Goenka
Norman Fischer interviews S.N. Goenka

http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goenka-ji has trained hundreds of assistant teachers, and disciples have set up residential retreat centres around the world where Retreats are by donation.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Collective

Post by Collective »

I've just read that article, as you were posting. Very good read.

Can someone recommend a book on meditation by SN Goenka?

Thank you
Collective

Post by Collective »

Is anapanasati to do with vipassana or samatha?
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Collective wrote:Is anapanasati to do with vipassana or samatha?
Anapanasati, the awareness of the breath, is one of the objects of meditation. It is often used in samatha meditation or concentration, together with other exercises described in the Satipatthana sutta to develop vipassana or the quality of insight.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Collective

You might consider why something is popular.

You might consider why someone is famous.

You might consider whether the dhamma is popular.

you might consider whether nibbana is a popular destination.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rowyourboat wrote:Hi Collective

You might consider why something is popular.

You might consider why someone is famous.

You might consider whether the dhamma is popular.

you might consider whether nibbana is a popular destination.

with metta
And you might to consider why someone chooses to be passive-aggressive in regards Goenka..
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Indeed.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Collective

Post by Collective »

Sorry but you lost me.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Collective,

Wisdom books has quite a few:
http://www.wisdom-books.com/Author.asp? ... nka%2C+S+N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also I hope Ben replies in this thread as he has been practising under Goenka-ji for many years with great results.
Even sat with him in India as I recall, and is about to go to Myanmar for a long retreat.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Collective

Post by Collective »

cooran wrote:Hello Collective,

Wisdom books has quite a few:
http://www.wisdom-books.com/Author.asp? ... nka%2C+S+N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also I hope Ben replies in this thread as he has been practising under Goenka-ji for many years with great results.
Even sat with him in India as I recall, and is about to go to Myanmar for a long retreat.

With metta
Chris
Awesome, thank you
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Collective wrote:Sorry but you lost me.
It is probably a safe bet that rowyourboat does not think highly of Goenka, but is saying it in a less than direct manner.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Collective,
Collective wrote:I've just read that article, as you were posting. Very good read.

Can someone recommend a book on meditation by SN Goenka?

Thank you
I have been a student of SN Goenka (exclusively) for 25 years. In that time I have sat and served on many courses in Australia, India and NZ. I recommend the 10-day course experience for most people but its not for everyone. If you are interested, have the inclination, the time available and feel mentally and physically strong enough to be secluded from the world for ten days, then I would say 'go for it'. Goenkaji hasn't produced a book on meditation because he believes the best way that people can learn and get the benefits of establishing practice (in this tradition) is to attend a ten-day course. For an excellent intro, I recommend William Hart's "Art of Living".
There is some introductory material on the main vipassana website: http://www.dhamma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - be sure to check out the document 'art of living' on this site (different to William Hart's book), the code of discipline, and various videos.

and also on the Vipassana International Acadamy: http://www.vri.dhamma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as there is some additional information on this site.
If you have any further queries, you are more than welcome to contact me directly (if I don't respond to your questions on this thread).
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Well said Ben. I would add that feeling a need to question a practice or because it didn't or doesn't suit us personally is not altogether skillful.
We are fortunate to have been bequeathed a number of different meditative practices. Some suit one person . they suit another person less. Goenka's way of Vipassana I find very helpful indeed.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.