If you could only recommend 4 books...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mettafuture

If you could only recommend 4 books...

Post by mettafuture »

If you could only recommend 1 introductory and 1 intermediate Dhamma book, 1 introductory and 1 intermediate practice book, which books would you recommend?

There is soooooo much material on Buddhism, and it can be easy for someone, even a Dhamma veteran, to get lost in it all. Perhaps we could try to simplify our suggestions into small lists?

Here are my top 4 recommendations:

- Introductory Dhamma: What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula
- Intermediate Dhamma: In The Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi

- Introductory Practice: Insight Meditation by Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein
- Intermediate Practice: The Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga by Buddhaghosa
Last edited by mettafuture on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
username_5

Re: If you could only recommend 4 books...

Post by username_5 »

Your list includes Mindfulness in Plain English, but links to Insight Meditation: A Step-By-Step Course on How to Meditate. Have not read Insight, but have read Mindfulness and would recommend it.

Would also recommend Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness for Introductory dhamma.

Too new to make other recommendations, but will watch the list build and give Amazon lots of business I am sure.
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

username_5 wrote:Your list includes Mindfulness in Plain English, but links to Insight Meditation: A Step-By-Step Course on How to Meditate.
Mistake corrected.

I was originally going to recommend Mindfulness in Plain English, but I think Insight Meditation by Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein is a more complete package. It includes a book, audio, diagrams, etc.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I am currently reading "Turning the Wheel of Truth: Commentary on the Buddha's First Teaching" By Ajahn Sucitto. So far I am pleased, it has resolved some confusions of mine, which are numerous. I'll think about the other three.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
mirco

Post by mirco »

Here are my top 4 recommendations and that ain't no joke:

Introductory & Intermediate Dhamma, Introductory & Intermediate Practice:
Most Ven. Vimalaramsi Mahathera: The Anapanasati Sutta : A Practical Guide
plus the Majjhima Nikaya.

_()_
Last edited by mirco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

mettafuture wrote:
- Introductory Dhamma: What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula
- Intermediate Dhamma: In The Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi

- Introductory Practice: Insight Meditation by Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein
i've given all of these to people before who have come to me wanting to learn Buddhism from me, quite a few of the first book a couple of the last two.
many other books as well. however there is no blanket list of books i would use for every person other than the 1st two books. i'd have to know the person before recommending any meditation styles.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

mirco wrote:Here are my top 4 recommendations and that ain't no joke:

Introductory & Intermediate Dhamma, Introductory & Intermediate Practice:
Most Ven. Vimalaramsi Mahathera: The Anapanasati Sutta : A Practical Guide
plus the Majjhima Nikaya.

_()_
There's a single book that covers all 4 categories?! :shock:

I haven't heard of this book before. And it's free. I'll check it out now.

Thank you for posting it.
jcsuperstar wrote:i've given all of these to people before who have come to me wanting to learn Buddhism from me, quite a few of the first book a couple of the last two.
many other books as well. however there is no blanket list of books i would use for every person other than the 1st two books. i'd have to know the person before recommending any meditation styles.
I'm curious. Which styles (books) would you recommend to which people?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

4 books? easy:

Digha Nikaya
Majjhima Nikaya
Samyutta Nikaya
Anguttara Nikaya
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

David N. Snyder wrote:4 books? easy:

Digha Nikaya
Majjhima Nikaya
Samyutta Nikaya
Anguttara Nikaya
:twothumbsup:

Those books aren't exactly "introductory" material though. :D

Or could they be?
Last edited by mettafuture on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samadhi_steve

Post by samadhi_steve »

:thumbsup:

Digha Nikaya
Majjhima Nikaya
Samyutta Nikaya
Anguttara Nikaya
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

samadhi_steve wrote::thumbsup:

Digha Nikaya
Majjhima Nikaya
Samyutta Nikaya
Anguttara Nikaya
Again, if someone knows nothing about the 4 noble truths or 8 fold path, would giving them the nikayas really be the best solution? Lol.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

mettafuture wrote:

Digha Nikaya
Majjhima Nikaya
Samyutta Nikaya
Anguttara Nikaya
Again, if someone knows nothing about the 4 noble truths or 8 fold path, would giving them the nikayas really be the best solution? Lol.
Sure, why not? Just direct them to read the introduction of Ven. Bodhi's MN and take it from there. The real key is to read a sufficient number of suttas combined with a daily meditation effort (in which case you could start with MN118 and MN10).
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

thereductor wrote:
mettafuture wrote:

Digha Nikaya
Majjhima Nikaya
Samyutta Nikaya
Anguttara Nikaya
Sure, why not? Just direct them to read the introduction of Ven. Bodhi's MN and take it from there. The real key is to read a sufficient number of suttas combined with a daily meditation effort (in which case you could start with MN118 and MN10).
The instructions in the Anapanasati and Satipatthana suttas aren't the easiest to understand. This is why books like Mindfulness in Plain English are so popular and highly regarded. They break down the postures and techniques into a language most people, especially beginners, can follow.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

mettafuture wrote:
thereductor wrote: Sure, why not? Just direct them to read the introduction of Ven. Bodhi's MN and take it from there. The real key is to read a sufficient number of suttas combined with a daily meditation effort (in which case you could start with MN118 and MN10).
The instructions in the Anapanasati and Satipatthana suttas aren't the easiest to understand. This is why books like Mindfulness in Plain English are so popular and highly regarded. They break down the postures and techniques into a language most people, especially beginners, can follow.
They aren't the easiest to understand because they cannot be properly understood when separated from practice, which is how we first come to them. This is the same with modern books, but because of their phrasing we suppose that we understand when really we do not.

So really, it all comes down to patient practice and daily reflection on the material at hand (ancient or contemporary). In light of such practices even the suttas, some of which may seem impenetrable, can be understood... in time.
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

thereductor wrote:They aren't the easiest to understand because they cannot be properly understood when separated from practice, which is how we first come to them. This is the same with modern books, but because of their phrasing we suppose that we understand when really we do not.
Or you can just read an introductory book on Buddhism, then read In The Buddha's Words for an overview of all the nikayas, and then dive into the nikayas themselves, starting with the Majjhima Nikaya. And as you study the dhamma, you can see a teacher to learn more about proper practice, and use books like Mindfulness In Plain English to help you along the way.
So really, it all comes down to patient practice and daily reflection on the material at hand (ancient or contemporary). In light of such practices even the suttas, some of which may seem impenetrable, can be understood... in time.
What about those who are dying of terminal illness and don't have a lot of time?