best book on meditation???

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
dhammastudier

Re: best book on meditation???

Post by dhammastudier »

bodom wrote:
zac wrote:ok so i think bodom gave me a link for a book on mindfulness meditation (thanx again) and now it seems i need to ask: anyone know of a good, in depth, trouble shooting book on vipassana?
Mindfulness in Plain English. :thumbsup:
It is all in this book. How to overcome the hindrances and deal with various problems that arise in meditations, explanation of vipassana and samatha, anapanasati etc. etc.

:anjali:
nice! thanx twice then bodom! :clap: :thanks:
bodom

Post by bodom »

zac wrote:
bodom wrote:
zac wrote:ok so i think bodom gave me a link for a book on mindfulness meditation (thanx again) and now it seems i need to ask: anyone know of a good, in depth, trouble shooting book on vipassana?
Mindfulness in Plain English. :thumbsup:
It is all in this book. How to overcome the hindrances and deal with various problems that arise in meditations, explanation of vipassana and samatha, anapanasati etc. etc.

nice! thanx twice then bodom! :clap: :thanks:
No problem man. I won't steer you wrong.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

HI zac,
zac wrote: sorry mike, i read your post just before bed and didn't have time to check the links, thank you:) i read up on the links and i get it. it sounds though like samatha can easily be learned from a book and vipassana must be taught unless one is to read a verrrrrrrrrry in depth book about it? samatha is mindfulness and steadying the mind and vipassana is looking into the mind and it's workings with regards to different buddhist teachings. i'm going to see the abbot of a nearby temple tomorrow and i will ask him:) thanx again.
I really don't think any of it "can be easily learned", from a book or otherwise. Sure you can do some basic calming meditation, but getting to deep states of samatha is not an easy task.

Mike
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

mikenz66 wrote:HI zac,
zac wrote: sorry mike, i read your post just before bed and didn't have time to check the links, thank you:) i read up on the links and i get it. it sounds though like samatha can easily be learned from a book and vipassana must be taught unless one is to read a verrrrrrrrrry in depth book about it? samatha is mindfulness and steadying the mind and vipassana is looking into the mind and it's workings with regards to different buddhist teachings. i'm going to see the abbot of a nearby temple tomorrow and i will ask him:) thanx again.
I really don't think any of it "can be easily learned", from a book or otherwise. Sure you can do some basic calming meditation, but getting to deep states of samatha is not an easy task.

Mike
right on, i'm going to see the abbot who i see from time to time tomorrow, like i said, so i think i'll be ok:) thanx