Interview: Monk Sits 24 Hours

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bksubhuti

Interview: Monk Sits 24 Hours

Post by bksubhuti » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:41 am

I think this group will like this long and detailed post of the interview transcript below.
Yes, no getting up, eating or toilet.

Enjoy!
https://americanmonk.org/interview-monk ... -24-hours/

JamesTheGiant

Re: Interview: Monk Sits 24 Hours

Post by JamesTheGiant » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 am

Great interview, many thanks to whoever recorded and transcribed it.
That's the real deal there.

Venerable, did you know the bhikkhu interviewed? A Venerable Subhuti was mentioned in the interview, was that you at the same monastery.
Last edited by JamesTheGiant on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:57 am

Thanks for sharing, Bhante.

As far as I know, in Burma, when they say how long one can meditate in a session, it almost always refers to continuous/uninterrupted meditation in a single posture.

The successfulness with a technique varies, i think, with each individual's personal practice/understanding/inclination, and incerasing in Dhamma-maturity with Dhamma practice/learning. Some only need one method. Some others see benefits only after switching/changing methods. I have heard stories in which individuals with prior extensive different meditation backgrounds exuberantly said they became successful in meditation only after changing the method, at last, to Mogok, Goenka, Mahasi, Pa Auk, The In Guu, Taw Kuu etc.

Mahasi method in long sessions
  • The late First Taw Kuu sayadaw, a student of Mahasi sayadaw, instructed very long session technique. In my opinion after reading the books, the technique merely requests the meditator just five minutes more, if possible. One can always end the session any time if needed.

The first Taw Kuu Sayadaw is said to be able to meditate at least 24 hrs long unmoved in any of sitting, standing, lying positions. 2nd [current] Taw Kuu Sayadaw can sit [as mentioned in the book by Dr. Memm Tin Mon, fifth reprint, 2000] 35 hours.

The In Guu 32
  • Another Lineage, which become increasingly very famous in recent years, is The In Guu 32 branch, a variation of The In Guu, which, imo, is a variation of Sun Lun. The meditators can do very long hours, in full lotus [they demand full lotus after initial stages.] viewtopic.php?f=44&t=34156&hilit=kanni#p510045

Anyway, imo, many can manage longer hours naturally with increasingly settled mind, with different methods.

_/\_ _/\_ _/\_

ps:
JamesTheGiant wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 am
... A Venerable Subhuti ...
bksubhuti is that Ven. Subhuti, i think.
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:06 pm

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 am
Great interview, many thanks to whoever recorded and transcribed it.
That's the real deal there.

Venerable, did you know the bhikkhu interviewed? A Venerable Subhuti was mentioned in the interview, was that you at the same monastery.
I did the interview and I am Bhante Subhuti so it was not me. The monk who did this meditation is anonymous.

Zom

Post by Zom » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Yes, no getting up, eating or toilet.
This all is really interesting, however, interviewer didn't see him meditating 24 hours in a row. And of course there is no video record either 8-)

bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 am

interviewer didn't see him meditating 24 hours in a row. And of course there is no video record either
You don't know monks.. especially this one. He says he moved his legs a few times (in 24 hours). It is all true. He also later did 48 hours.

Zom

Post by Zom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am

I've heard such claims dozens of times. Yet no one is able to actually show it.

Grigoris

Post by Grigoris » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:15 pm

If sitting still is a measure of spiritual progress, then the rocks and mountains must all be Buddhas.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.

santa100

Post by santa100 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:13 pm

bksubhuti wrote:You don't know monks.. especially this one. He says he moved his legs a few times (in 24 hours). It is all true. He also later did 48 hours.
Thanks Bhante for some very interesting information. But without some
actual data captured through eyewitness, it'll be difficult to verify. Since in your article, you've expressed lots of interest in finding out special tricks/techniques that enable the monk to do what he does. Is it possible to request some direct "live" meditation session with him in a near future? Not only you'll be able to verify it for yourself but also get firsthand direct instruction on how to do it. The benefit doesn't just stop there, you can come back and share with us what you've learned. That'd be some great service you and that venerable will be doing for the benefit of the people and the Dhamma!

bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:08 pm

You can believe or disbelieve as you wish. I am no longer in the same country as this monk and it was done a long time ago. Many monks can sit for long times at this place. There is another monk I could see in the meditation hall who continues for hours after the 4 hour meditation session is finished. I have seen him still going when evening chanting begins. As far as hearing sounds though, yes I would like to test that one day and this monk might be open to it.

This is a very nice treat for lay people because monk cannot talk about their own practice. This is why the monk is not named and also why the recording is not made available. Most monks would not allow public discussions on their practice. Consider yourself very privileged to hear this, verified or not. It is virtually impossible for this monk to lie about this stuff.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:23 am

Wow! I'm quite astonished
  • not by the numbers of hours the Bhante sit,
  • but by the numbers of seemingly-hardcore frequenters on DW who just can't believe such a simple un-extraordinary [in serious realm of Dhamma] vignette
... :lol:

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59