Recommended reading

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
JiWe2

Re: Recommended reading

Post by JiWe2 »

Buddhist Meditation In Theory and Practice
A General Exposition According to the
Pāḷi Canon of the Theravādin School

Original Author Paravahera Vajirañāṇa Mahāthera (1962)
New Edition Revised and Edited by Allan R. Bomhard (2010)
"In preparing the Charleston Buddhist Fellowship edition of this manual, the original has been thoroughly reworked. New material has been incorporated from various sources, including the Visuddhimagga (Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli’s translation), the translations from the scriptures given in the original have been compared against more modern translations and have been changed accordingly, the English has been reworded where necessary to improve clarity, new footnotes have been added, and Pāḷi terms have been reviewed and corrected where required. Thus, the current edition is virtually a new work."
https://archive.org/details/BuddhistMed ... ndPractice
bodom

Post by bodom »

JiWe2 wrote:Buddhist Meditation In Theory and Practice

"In preparing the Charleston Buddhist Fellowship edition of this manual, the original has been thoroughly reworked. New material has been incorporated from various sources, including the Visuddhimagga (Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli’s translation), the translations from the scriptures given in the original have been compared against more modern translations and have been changed accordingly, the English has been reworded where necessary to improve clarity, new footnotes have been added, and Pāḷi terms have been reviewed and corrected where required. Thus, the current edition is virtually a new work."
I have been searching for a hard copy of this book for months. I haven't had any luck.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

bodom wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:28 pm
JiWe2 wrote:Buddhist Meditation In Theory and Practice

I have been searching for a hard copy of this book for months. I haven't had any luck.

Bodom, I found one but the book-sharks jacked up the price, as they tend to do with hard-to-find limited hard copies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUDDHIST-MEDIT ... :rk:7:pf:0

this copy is cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Meditat ... d+Practice

and this copy cheaper still, but appears to be out of stock at the moment:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/buddhi ... 9679920413

Omit

Post by Omit »

I can recommend "Finding the missing peace" by Ajahn Amaro. Well written book on meditation. Simple and not too rigid.

https://amaravati.org/dhamma-books/find ... editation/

available online :twothumbsup:
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

The Buddha's Ancient Path by Ven. Piyadassi Thera

What the Buddha taught by Ven. Walpole Rahula Thera

What Buddhists Believe by Ven. Dr. K Sri Dhammananda Mahanayaka Thera

Simple, crystal-clear, concise and informative. All available free download online.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
jwstone

Post by jwstone »

I am so confused because of all the different books, schools and methods out there on meditation. I want to follow whatever the Buddha taught, not whatever some guru is teaching. What suttas point to Theravada methods only? Also, which books up above are more in line with the traditional Theravada methods? I feel like if I don't learn correctly, I am just wasting my time. I don't have access to teachers, so I need to learn on my own.
Philosophy

Post by Philosophy »

jwstone wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:35 pm I am so confused because of all the different books, schools and methods out there on meditation. I want to follow whatever the Buddha taught, not whatever some guru is teaching. What suttas point to Theravada methods only? Also, which books up above are more in line with the traditional Theravada methods? I feel like if I don't learn correctly, I am just wasting my time. I don't have access to teachers, so I need to learn on my own.
The rest of us are confused too. Even within Theravada there is a huge range of disagreements, all producing different schools, methods, and meditation techniques. And they all think they're the "right way." Although they all use the Sutta Pitika to justify themselves, and often focus on the same set of suttas (Anapanasati, Sattipathana, etc), they often disagree on which commentaries should be used and whether Abhidhamma was taught by the Buddha or not.

I'm sure painting this picture is disappointing, as you're hoping to get "the right way." I've seen folks say, "It's our kamma to be born in a time of degradation of the Dhamma. We don't get to get it straight from the Buddha's mouth." I consider myself to be fortunate enough to have even been born in an age of split, degraded Dhamma myself.

Basically, anyone attempting to complete your request as you've made it is just going to be directing you toward their own sectarian preferences. You'll just have to dive in and learn from a variety of sources and decide what makes sense to you.

One thing the Buddha taught for sure was taking a good look at your suffering and then letting go. So, you can do that in this instance. Is your desire to find the "one true way" worth holding on to? To me it seems rather stressful and anxiety producing: if you believe there's a "one true way," it seems you would be obligated to find it. Idk, maybe investigate that impulse.
jwstone

Post by jwstone »

Philosophy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:58 pm
jwstone wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:35 pm I am so confused because of all the different books, schools and methods out there on meditation. I want to follow whatever the Buddha taught, not whatever some guru is teaching. What suttas point to Theravada methods only? Also, which books up above are more in line with the traditional Theravada methods? I feel like if I don't learn correctly, I am just wasting my time. I don't have access to teachers, so I need to learn on my own.
The rest of us are confused too. Even within Theravada there is a huge range of disagreements, all producing different schools, methods, and meditation techniques. And they all think they're the "right way." Although they all use the Sutta Pitika to justify themselves, and often focus on the same set of suttas (Anapanasati, Sattipathana, etc), they often disagree on which commentaries should be used and whether Abhidhamma was taught by the Buddha or not.

I'm sure painting this picture is disappointing, as you're hoping to get "the right way." I've seen folks say, "It's our kamma to be born in a time of degradation of the Dhamma. We don't get to get it straight from the Buddha's mouth." I consider myself to be fortunate enough to have even been born in an age of split, degraded Dhamma myself.

Basically, anyone attempting to complete your request as you've made it is just going to be directing you toward their own sectarian preferences. You'll just have to dive in and learn from a variety of sources and decide what makes sense to you.

One thing the Buddha taught for sure was taking a good look at your suffering and then letting go. So, you can do that in this instance. Is your desire to find the "one true way" worth holding on to? To me it seems rather stressful and anxiety producing: if you believe there's a "one true way," it seems you would be obligated to find it. Idk, maybe investigate that impulse.
You made some great points! It's definitely stressing me out. LOL So definitely not the correct way to be going about things. There are some teachers I feel led to online, and they make the most sense to me and at least appear genuine. Also, from what I can tell so far they seem to follow the suttas. I was recommended a few books by one, so I guess I'll start there.
NAD

Post by NAD »

The more you read the more confused you’ll become, because as stated by another member, different teachers have different interpretations. You’ll then likely end up reading the Suttas, but will remain confused due to the seemingly many contradictions and words used in different contexts. Then you will probably give up when you realise that meanings change over your lifetime, let alone over the last 2500 years. Maybe you won’t, but that’s what I done…….
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Analayo stays close to Buddha's own meditative path and provides many examples in A Meditator's Life of Buddha:

https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg ... buddha.pdf
MEDITATIVE EXERCISES RECOMMENDED IN EACH CHAPTER

Chapter 1 Reflecting on old age, disease, and death [page] 12
Chapter 2 Recollecting one’s wholesome conduct 21
Chapter 3 Distinguishing between wholesome and unwholesome thoughts 30
Chapter 4 Noting the divine quality of a concentrated mind 40
Chapter 5 Contemplating emptiness 50
Chapter 6 Working with five methods to remove distraction 59
Chapter 7 Mindfulness of breathing in sixteen steps 67
Chapter 8 Cultivating contentment 76
Chapter 9 Rejoicing in wholesome states of mind 85
Chapter 10 Contemplating feelings 94
Chapter 11 Contemplating dharmas 104
Chapter 12 Contemplating consciousness and name-and-form 113
Chapter 13 Cultivating dispassion, cessation, and letting go 123
Chapter 14 Arousing compassion 132
Chapter 15 Balancing the awakening factors 141
Chapter 16 Applying the four truths to daily practice 151
Chapter 17 Inclining the mind towards Nirvāṇa 160
Chapter 18 Recollecting the Dharma 169
Chapter 19 Cultivating equanimity 178
Chapter 20 Non-attachment to views 187
Chapter 21 Perception of space as a mode of dwelling in emptiness 196
Chapter 22 Clear comprehension in daily activities 206
Chapter 23 Mindfulness of death 214
Chapter 24 Recollecting the community 224
Conclusion Recollecting the Buddha 231
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

From Analayo's Introduction to A Meditator's Life of Buddha. I put in bold the keynote for much the book.
The following pages offer a study of meditative dimensions of the Buddha’s life, based on a combination of extracts from the early discourses and discussions. With the title A Meditator’s Life of the Buddha I intend to convey not only that in this book I focus on the Buddha as a meditator, in the sense of concentrating on his meditative experiences and practices, but also that my target readership is other meditators. In this way, I hope to provide inspiration and guidance for those who have dedicated themselves to meditation practice aimed at progress to awakening. In so doing, my intention is to present one possible way of understanding selected aspects of the life of the Buddha according to how these are portrayed in the early discourses, certainly not the only one, let alone the only correct one, in such a way that they can serve as an inspiration and guide for fellow meditators.
[...]
A central aim of the present project is to encourage a traditional practice whose potential has to my mind not received the attention it deserves among modern-day Buddhist practitioners. This is recollection of the Buddha, a topic that I explore in more detail in the conclusion to this book.

Similar to my book on Mindfully Facing Disease and Death, the main body of the present book also has twenty-four chapters. Twelve chapters cover the period up to the Buddha’s awakening and another twelve chapters deal with selected aspects of the ensuing period from the moment of his awakening itself up to his final meditation. Each of these twenty-four chapters concludes with suggestions for meditative practice or reflection.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

More from his Introduction:
In Chapter 1 I begin with the future Buddha’s motivation to go forth; in Chapter 2 I turn to his moral conduct and how he faced fear. In Chapters 3 to 5 I cover his development of concentration: his overcoming obstacles to concentration, his attainment of absorption, and his cultivation of the immaterial attainments under the tuition of Āḷāra Kālāma and Uddaka Rāmaputta.

The Buddha’s time of asceticism is the theme of the next three chapters, 6 to 8. The discovery of the path to awakening and the strong determination to pursue this path are the topics of Chapters 9 and 10. In Chapters 11 and 12 I study the first two higher knowledges, and in Chapter 13 the event of awakening itself.

The decision to teach is the topic of Chapter 14, followed by three chapters, 15 to 17, dedicated to the first teaching with which the Buddha set in motion the wheel of Dharma. In Chapter 18 I take up the Buddha’s decision to honour the Dharma, followed by his skilful teaching activities in Chapter 19, and his penetrative seeing through views and his dwelling in emptiness in Chapters 20 and 21. In Chapter 22 I study the Buddha’s daily conduct. The Buddha’s way of facing old age, disease, and death is the topic of Chapter 23 and his passing away of Chapter 24. In the conclusion I turn to recollection of the Buddha, a meditation practice that in one way or another underlies the entire book.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Analayo's commentary on the verse follows:
He fared rightly, meditating and reflecting;
With his unperturbed purity
He invariably smiled and had no anger;
Delighting in seclusion, he attained the highest;
Fearlessly, he invariably focused on what is essential:
The Buddha.

The first line, according to which the Buddha “fared rightly, meditating and reflecting”, aptly sums up the Buddha’s progress to awakening, where meditative practice and reflection combined together enabled him to discover the path to liberation. The Buddha’s post-awakening “unperturbed purity” made him one who “invariably smiled and had no anger”. This throws into relief the beauty of a purified mind, where there is no longer any scope for anger to arise and whatever happens can be met with the smile of compassion. The Buddha “attained the highest” precisely because of his “delighting in seclusion”, whereby he set an example to be emulated by those who wish to reach the highest themselves. The last line mentions the Buddha’s fearlessness and highlights that he “invariably focused on what is essential”. This reflects a recurrent trait of the Buddha evident in the early discourses, which show him to have had a clear-cut focus on what really matters.
surfver

Post by surfver »

I had often had the impression that this was a definitive book

Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness

https://www.amazon.com/-/he/Thich-Nhat- ... 0938077341

And also this book

Thich Nhat Hanh
Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing

https://www.amazon.com/Breathe-You-Are- ... 0938077937

I had rarely seen such concise books based directly on ancient scriptures with straightforward explanations and not alot of stuff added. It was back at a time when I had a keen interest in finding such books and these two books had a great influence on me.

The others listed however here sound interesting