Labelling in Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
LaughingBannermen

Labelling in Meditation

Post by LaughingBannermen »

When a mental phenomenon occurs in meditation and we label it, do we make that mental phenomena the temporary new object of meditation and continue labeling it until it disappears, or do we label it and then go right back to the original object of meditation?

Also, what form should labeling take? Is it enough to visualize or make auditory impressions of our label while keeping awareness of the mental phenomena, or do we have to have the in-depth concept in mind that the label refers to?

Thank you for reading
Last edited by LaughingBannermen on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budo

Re: Labelling in Meditation

Post by budo »

LaughingBannermen wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:33 pm When a mental phenomenon occurs in meditation and we label it, do we make that mental phenomena the temporary new object of meditation and continue labeling it until it disappears, or do we label it and then go right back to the original object of meditation?
Depends which movement/tradition you follow. According to the suttas one should return to the main object and not let the mind wander.
Also, what form should labeling take? Is it enough to visualize or make auditory impressions of our label while keeping awareness of the mental phenomena, or do we have to have the in-depth concept in mind that the label refers to?

Thank you for reading,

-Joel
Depends on the movement/tradition you follow. I personally don't make verbalizations in my mind but it could be helpeful for beginners.
Volo

Re: Labelling in Meditation

Post by Volo »

I never found mental labeling (like "thinking, thinking", "looking, looking", etc) to be useful. I think simply knowing what happens is a better and more natural way to go. But look for yourself. Labeling, knowing or ignoring the distraction and coming back to the object are just methods. What makes you more peaceful and mindful is the right thing.