Usefulness of Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Laurens

Re: Usefulness of Meditation

Post by Laurens » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:55 am

one_awakening wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 am
Laurens wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:44 pm
If you meditate as taught by the Buddha, and put in the appropriate effort you will get insights and wisdom from doing so.

Do it right with commitment and effort and it's always useful.
I never said it wasn't useful
Aye, I'm saying it's usefulness isn't limited if you are following the Buddha's instructions
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

one_awakening

Post by one_awakening » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:22 am

Laurens wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:55 am

Aye, I'm saying it's usefulness isn't limited if you are following the Buddha's instructions
I never said it's usefulness was limited. I said it's usefulness is limited IF you don't learn anything from the meditation.
Last edited by one_awakening on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You only lose what you cling to”

one_awakening

Post by one_awakening » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 am
It's like saying a ladder is not much use, unless you are up at the top.
You have to step on the bottom rungs of the ladder to get to the top.
I agree, but I'm not necessarily talking about real insights which you do need to climb to the top of the ladder to achieve, but there are things which you can still learn from meditation about the mind or the nature of reality while you're still on the bottom rung of the ladder and working you way up.

For example, a person mediates and finds it makes him feel happy. Which of course benefits that person, but he learns nothing. Nevertheless it's still a benefit.

A second person asks himself "Why do I feel happy during meditation?" He realizes that during meditation he is not holding onto things, he's letting go. Which he does not do when he's not meditating. He then concludes that letting go leads to happiness. He then learns to let go in his daily life and becomes a happier and more peaceful person as a result.

The first person begins grasping and holding on again after the meditation and thus the benefits he gains from his meditation is limited.
“You only lose what you cling to”

atipattoh

Post by atipattoh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:50 am

Does a person, not attached to things, that he is able to sit; or he is able to let go, therefore he is able to sit, or
he is able to sit, therefore he is able to let go?