How Many Of You Experience Depression?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mr.SeanStewart

How Many Of You Experience Depression?

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

I am curious if I am the odd few or is there more people like myself?

Do you guys feel depressed, lonely and hopeless about life sometimes?

When something goes wrong do you think of suicide

Do you feel stuck in a meaningless physical world which you know is an illusion?

Do you feel stuck in life situations that don't enable you to live how you really want to live?

Just curious if anyone else feels this way sometimes, and if it has to do with my spiritual work.

I feel a strong pull for finding meaning and purpose behind life. IN my normal life I am one of the happiest person you know

I laugh and I am really good in social settings, but i have really low moments where I really dont see the point for going on but technically not suicidal as I dont think ending my life can make anything better otherwise it would have been done already.

Thoughts comments welcome -
JamesTheGiant

Re: How Many Of You Experience Depression?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Yes, I've struggled with depression for about two decades. About 50% of the time somewhat depressed, and 50% not depressed. So... a lot.
Mostly mild depression, but at least three times severely, and suicidal. Those three times I quit my job because I was overcome by it. Fortunately my country has a good social welfare system.

Buddhism has helped me live with it somewhat, but antidepressant medicines have been my best defence.

Sorry I haven't answered any of your questions, they are interesting. I will think about them and reply later.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

I have never ever experienced depression however have often felt the world is meaningless & pointless; particularly given the world has so many psychopath politicians (openly lying & murdering people in fake covert wars) & self-absorbed people (who believe whatever the mainstream media tells them); a world so lacking in family & community values and with few who aspire to Dhamma. At times I lose the will to live but unfortunately the nibbana dhatu is always there propping up the mind. This is the problem with the nibbana dhatu. If you really let go with disenchantment, the nibbana dhatu interrupts & cuts your vibhava tanha. Nibbana keeps supporting the peace element that exists in the mind.

For example, the last time I lost the will to live was when it was reported the American govt is threatening to starve the Iranian people. When I mentioned this on a supposed Buddhist chatsite, the moderator said it was fake news. Then if I mention it on this chatsite, there members who wish to meet in Bagdad & dip their helmets into the Euphrates River after killing a bunch of people in a Buddhist-Christian Crusade. Thus, when supposed Buddhists have no compassion for humanity & harmless people, life seems pointless. At least, personally, in my situation (which may be completely different to yours), these are the things that make me feel melancholy.

Oh, and then there is your mother (which takes very little self-view to become 'real'). Maybe if mother was not around it might be different. My sister got upset once when i said i might finish up when mum passes away (even though sister don't talk much and it is usually sister just venting her frustrations at me). I suppose you can't use the knife like the asuba bhikkhus if your mother is still alive and loves you. I never feel lonely. I have basically lived emotionally alone for 30 years. But life often seems pointless. The Buddha said "go forth bhikkhus for the benefit of the many; for the happiness of gods & humans". But, today, its seems you can't even do this. Instead, people want Protestant religion guaranteeing easy afterlife rather than morality & community values. So we all basically live in a very individualistic world today and this appears why we can feel life is pointless & meaningless because we are generally not doing good for a community & the world as a whole.
Last edited by DooDoot on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 15 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:04 am My sister got upset once when i said i might finish up when mum passes away (even though sister don't talk much and it is usually sister just venting her frustrations at me). I suppose you can't use the knife like the asuba bhikkhus if your mother is still alive and loves you.
You shouldn't use the knife until you are an arahant as we are supposed to strive on until arahantship.

So considering how much work there still is to be done for us we shouldn't even think about this until we at least reach stream entry, don't you agree?
Mr.SeanStewart wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 am I am curious if I am the odd few or is there more people like myself?

Do you guys feel depressed, lonely and hopeless about life sometimes?
You aren't odd; melancholy states of mind is common for all, anytime there is tanha there is dukkha.

Do you practice metta towards yourself?
Last edited by Manopubbangama on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:33 am
Manopubbangama wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 amSo considering how much work there still is to be started by Manopubbangama he shouldn't even think about this until Manopubbangama at least reach stream entry, don't you agree?
Yes, i agree .

:focus:
It is the topic. Why did you disparage manoPG by inserting his name?

I think we can infer that your agreement would put DooDoot in as an arahant.

:buddha1:

If you are an arahant will you teach us to become one to overcome these meloncholy states? :anjali:
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am Yes, I've struggled with depression for about two decades. About 50% of the time somewhat depressed, and 50% not depressed. So... a lot.
Mostly mild depression, but at least three times severely, and suicidal. Those three times I quit my job because I was overcome by it. Fortunately my country has a good social welfare system.

Buddhism has helped me live with it somewhat, but antidepressant medicines have been my best defence.

Sorry I haven't answered any of your questions, they are interesting. I will think about them and reply later.
Hi James, do you practice metta towards yourself? :heart:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:41 am
Manopubbangama wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 amIt is the topic. Why did you disparage manoPG by inserting his name?
Strange comment. When you assert something about others, it is not "disparagement". But when your (internet) name is inserted into the very same assertion you wrote, it becomes disparagement. I think those lusting to dip helmets into the Euphrates River and are obsessed with being Patriarchs are not disenchanted towards all of world. As I posted, personally, if i had lust & passion for this material world, I would convert to Judaism. :mrgreen:
So do you think I should convert to Judaism or strive on towards what you claim to have achieved, arahantship?

Please clarify.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 amYes, I've struggled with depression for about two decades.
What is your self-diagnosis James? Do you regard it as something biological (nature) or something experiential (nurture)? Thank you. Respectfully. Your Dhamma friend Doot.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 am
JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 amYes, I've struggled with depression for about two decades.
What is your self-diagnosis James? Do you regard it as something biological or something experiential? Thank you. Respectfully. Your Dhamma friend Doot.
DooDoot if you desire suicide, as stated in prior posts in this thread, should you be giving mental health advice?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Manopubbangama wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:48 amDooDoot if you desire suicide, as stated in prior posts in this thread, should you be giving mental health advice?
I didn't call it "suicide". I said "finish up" or "end time". "Suicide" generally occurs due to some type of worldly craving and is different to disenchantment with the world. "Suicide" is generally craving for "another world". The Buddha said Nibbana is "not this world or another world". Apart from that, I trust you are aware of the new forum rules when you must desist from interrogating type questioning when questions have already been answered. Please be honored when new forum rules & laws were made on your behalf.
Manopubbangama wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:48 amDooDoot if you desire suicide, as stated in prior posts in this thread, should you be giving mental health advice?
James is an ex-bhikkhu. I trust he has the maturity to discuss these matters openly.

Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:49 am
I didn't call it "suicide". I said "finish up" or "end time".
Aha, well please consider calling a mental health professional before "finishing up" or "end time."

:heart:
DooDoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:04 am My sister got upset once when i said i might finish up when mum passes away (even though sister don't talk much and it is usually sister just venting her frustrations at me). I suppose you can't use the knife like the asuba bhikkhus if your mother is still alive and loves you.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I struggle with depression sometimes. I made a lot of poor choices in my past and I sometimes feel as though there is no way out of the corner I have painted myself into.

I have made a concerted effort to practice more intensely recently, and I feel as though my meditation is making good progress. I realise from this that you can find joy within, and my craving for a different situation is lessened. But I still get bad days, and I'm still unsure what the best course to take forward is.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Laurens wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:42 pm I struggle with depression sometimes. I made a lot of poor choices in my past and I sometimes feel as though there is no way out of the corner I have painted myself into.

I have made a concerted effort to practice more intensely recently, and I feel as though my meditation is making good progress. I realise from this that you can find joy within, and my craving for a different situation is lessened. But I still get bad days, and I'm still unsure what the best course to take forward is.
Many of use (myself included) have made bad choices/kamma in the past - however, I believe the Dhamma will lift you up if you keep on going, cultivating each part of the path to the best of your abilities day by day, being generous, keeping sila, practicing meditation...Maybe do some brahma vihara practice to lift up the mind from depressed states.

Best
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Laurens wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:42 pm I struggle with depression sometimes. I made a lot of poor choices in my past and I sometimes feel as though there is no way out of the corner I have painted myself into.

Do you practice metta towards yourself?