Common problems during meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
alfa

Common problems during meditation

Post by alfa »

Hi :smile:

This is about my experience so far, so it could be a bit subjective. Still, I feel there are certain experiences common to most people when they sit down to meditate:

1) Thoughts, memories, emotions going here and there: This is the most common problem. We go off on a long train of thought, or suddenly we recreate some memory, or the memory itself could create some powerful emotion and overwhelm us. In such cases, I have found naming to be useful. Every time I label it, the intensity reduces, and the next time I can see the thing coming (whether thought or emotion) before it overpowers me. Not that it works all the time, but it DOES work.

2) Bodily posture:
Aches, pains, etc. I have found that changing posture every now and then helps. Being too strict on this matter seems counterproductive.

3) Boredom:

Even if we are able to deal with thoughts and emotions with the labeling method (or any other method), we are still left with the question as to how long we can sustain it. Boredom may set in. After watching your breath for a while, you may be wondering about what to do next because the whole thing may seem monotonous. What's the end game?

This last problem is something I am grappling with. I can observe the breath, fine. I can even sustain long periods of concentration, fine. But after a while, you wonder what the end game is. The final objective is nirvana, but as of now do we just meditate over and over even when there is no radical experience or things like that? Must we purposely try to create an experience like jhana just to avoid boredom?

Some insights on this would be helpful.

Thanks.
paul

Re: Common problems during meditation

Post by paul »

alfa wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm What's the end game?
The practitioner has to relate their experience, including stress, to the four noble truths, and see that thoughts that arise are signs of attachment.
Last edited by paul on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Right mindfulness and right concentration are just two pillars of the tried and true method of realizing nibbana. There are 6 other right components to the path that can't be overlooked. For me in daily life I can always find one of the aspects of the eightfold path which I could be doing, if I'm driving i use right mindfulness and think I am driving a car. If I have nothing to do I realize I can practice cultivating right speech, taking out the trash for your parents can be seen as right livelihood. Compartmentalizing all of your behavior into the eight fold path is always a good day for me.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

alfa wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm Hi :smile:
3) Boredom:

Even if we are able to deal with thoughts and emotions with the labeling method (or any other method), we are still left with the question as to how long we can sustain it. Boredom may set in. After watching your breath for a while, you may be wondering about what to do next because the whole thing may seem monotonous. What's the end game?...

Thanks.
Been reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu's meditation manual, With Each & Every Breath -- just finished the Chapter "Common Problems."
Regrading boredom, he says that you're not paying careful enough attention to what you are doing. You give up on attention and then say you are bored because there's nothing happening. And "...it's not the case that nothing is happening. Boredom is happening. The fact that you are identifying with it means that you missed the steps in its formation." -- so identification with the boredom is apparently happening.
Regarding the end game, he says you drive off the road (of your meditation object) if you are looking at the mountain in the distance (goal). He uses this simile under the heading of "Patience" in the problem chapter. Sounds like there may be some impatience in your mix.
Hey, just realized I gotta run -- may post more later...

Later: just to add that one can adjust how one is experiencing/visualizing the breath to maintain interest and see more subtlety.
Thanissaro often uses the simile of the committee in the mind. One can consider that there is a committee member who doesn't like the whole meditation thing and says it is boring, perhaps a member who craves sense stimulation. Don't let that committee member control the meeting. Give the microphone to another member who has some faith in the possibility of freedom.
Persevere.
:anjali:
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

This last problem is something I am grappling with. I can observe the breath, fine. I can even sustain long periods of concentration, fine. But after a while, you wonder what the end game is. The final objective is nirvana...
Nirvana is aiming too far. The end game is to feel calm; to feel content.
but as of now do we just meditate over and over even when there is no radical experience or things like that?
Boredom is simply another hindrance; yet simply a more subtle hindrance; like clouds shadowing the clear blue sky. Boredom is something to be allowed to dissolve, until the mind feels some refreshing calm & contentment.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The boredom is the result of not experience the happiness of not of the flesh.
It appears you do not enjoy the happiness of seclusion.
Perhaps you still have lot of unwholesome thoughts as well.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

I don’t have time to quote the Buddha in this post. But your main problem is a lack of direction. If you’re doing anapanasati- you can take mental notes all day - it won’t result in anything.

You should be going after jhana. Why? Because “jhana practitioners touch the deathless with their bodies”.

Don’t know where to start? Here. “Rupa” Jhāna. “What is the form clinging aggregate, o monks. It is the four great existent’s and the form derived from them. Earth, water, fire and wind.”

There’s your answer. I can guarantee that if you meditate on earth you will achieve rapture and pleasure.

What kind of meditation? Earth is a kasina. It reaches the human form in the heart. How to release it? Read my PDF in my signature. And start going after Jhāna! Start going after rapture and pleasure. I guarantee you won’t get bored with that. Besides the Buddha says that concentration comes AFTER pleasure.

Trying to develop concentration before pleasure is in contradiction with the suttas.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Spaciousness

Post by Spaciousness »

alfa wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm Hi :smile:

Must we purposely try to create an experience like jhana just to avoid boredom?

Thanks.
Well, even access concentration produce very good feeling as well, that would wipe out the boredom. Do you feel any pleasure like happiness, joy, state of calm, any tingling sensation, goosebumps, lights? ... etc in your meditation? They all help with boredom.