I give up

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
befriend

I give up

Post by befriend »

Can't do mindfulness I'll go insane can't do metta I'll go to hell. Time to be a normal person.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Manopubbangama

Re: I give up

Post by Manopubbangama »

I hope you don't give up.

Have you tried Samatha?
befriend

Post by befriend »

That's psychosis in a bottle to someone with a mental illness like me.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

befriend wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pm Can't do mindfulness I'll go insane can't do metta I'll go to hell. Time to be a normal person.
It's okay, just do Life meditation. And then you could go back to more formal sitting practice when you are ready.
befriend

Post by befriend »

I really admire you guys and have helped teach me Dhamma and I love buddha for showing the truth but my mind can't handle religion. I'm going to skateboard and learn and exercise my mind.
budo

Post by budo »

You don't need to be religious to meditate. In fact I think the number one reason a lot of people give up is because they're pulling the cart before the horse. Just meditate 1-2 hours a day, and if you're doing it right then you will get results. Once you get results your desires will fade away on their own, you won't want to skateboard or do normal things. Meditation comes first, everything else second.
Sweeney

Post by Sweeney »

befriend wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:26 pm I really admire you guys and have helped teach me Dhamma and I love buddha for showing the truth but my mind can't handle religion. I'm going to skateboard and learn and exercise my mind.
I can't handle religion either... that's why I come here to debate it! Haha! And like David said, "Just do life meditation". Because at the end of the day that's all meditation is really about. People like to brag about how they can sit for hours on end and do all sorts of esoteric practices and that they've meditated for so many years, but they can't do life, and if they can't do that, then what's the point of meditating? It's really just important to accept where you are at, and not be hard on yourself. And it's hard when you start delving into all the scriptures and different interpretations, it's some pretty heavy shit (excuse my language). I know I still struggle with it and I just go "Whatever, I'm just going to love myself.", which is really such a crucial thing. And we can't develop love for others if we don't first love ourselves, which is what Metta is all about. And it's hard when we spend so much time invested in others that we forget to love ourselves. Whether it be our time and energy, or even just investing ourselves in others ideas. We have to learn to understand our own needs, no matter what anybody else or any philosophy says. And I'm sure that everybody here will agree that sometimes you just need to get up and go for a walk or a skate or whatever; a coffee, some chocolate, a cigarette! Just spend some time trying to understand what you want out of life and being aware of your emotional needs, something which I think is very easy to forget when we start trying to absolve ourselves in meditative practice. Just be aware of how you feel physically and mentally and know that it's OK. We don't need to change these things they will change anyway, and when we try to change them we just get stuck clinging onto something that has already passed us by.
Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ
Kusalassa upasampadā
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ
Etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ
~ Dhp 183 ~
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

It is good to give up. I gave up once, and suddenly discovered a feeling of release and happiness. A weight off my shoulders. It made me realize I had been stressed about it, and trying too hard. I was happy to do dhamma in daily life, instead of just thinking it was all about meditation.
Best of luck Befriend!
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

befriend wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pmCan't do mindfulness I'll go insane can't do metta I'll go to hell. Time to be a normal person.
Meditation is difficult for many people. My reading of the suttas finds the Buddha generally taught the five precepts to lay people (which the Buddha said leads to rebirth in heaven). Just focus on following the five precepts and non-harming yourself & others. With metta. :heart:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
xofz

Post by xofz »

Next time there is a peaceful time, go for samadhi. It's a greater peace than deep sleep and can last for a long time. Conditions must be ripe for samadhi; when they do arise, best not to waste them on trivial sense pleasures.
becoming aware!
befriend

Post by befriend »

Thanks for all the nice replies and good advice 😀
Zom

Post by Zom »

Again and again - meditation is not something to start with. It is on the end of the Path.
befriend

Post by befriend »

budo

Post by budo »

Zom wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm Again and again - meditation is not something to start with. It is on the end of the Path.
"The meditation of mindfulness of in-&-out breathing, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit, of great benefit."

""So it is, Sisters, so it is!" replied Ananda. "Indeed for anybody, Sisters, whether monk or nun, who abides with a mind well established in the four foundations of mindfulness — it is to be expected that their understanding becomes ever greater and more excellent."

Here, Ananda, a monk abides contemplating body as body[*] — ardent, fully aware, mindful — leading away the unhappiness that comes from wanting the things of the world. And for one who is abiding contemplating body as body,[*] a bodily object arises, or bodily distress, or mental sluggishness, that scatters his mind outward. Then the monk should direct his mind to some satisfactory image. When the mind is directed to some satisfactory image, happiness is born. From this happiness, joy is then born. With a joyful mind, the body relaxes. A relaxed body feels content, and the mind of one content becomes concentrated. He then reflects: "The purpose for which I directed my my mind has been accomplished. So now I shall withdraw [directed attention from the image]." He withdraws, and no longer thinks upon or thinks about [the image]. He understands: "I am not thinking upon or thinking about [anything]. Inwardly mindful, I am content." This is directed meditation.

And what is undirected meditation? Not directing his mind outward, a monk understands: "My mind is not directed outward." He understands: "Not focused on before or after; free; undirected." And he understands: "I abide observing body as body — ardent, fully aware, mindful — I am content." This is undirected meditation.

And so, Ananda, I have taught directed meditation; and I have taught undirected meditation. Whatever is to be done by a teacher with compassion for the welfare of students, that has been done by me out of compassion for you. Here are the roots of trees. Here are empty places. Get down and meditate. Don't be lazy. Don't become one who is later remorseful. This is my instruction to you." -SN 47.10
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

befriend wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pm Time to be a normal person.
I'd love to be one of those! :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!