Devanussati: Recollecting the Devas in Practice

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mettafuture

Devanussati: Recollecting the Devas in Practice

Post by mettafuture »

Piya Tan wrote:The Buddha lived and taught in a society that was steeped in various beliefs in a world of gods, demons, spirits and the supernatural. Instead of adopting an iconoclastic approach towards such beliefs, the Buddha uses them as bridges to the spirituality of personal accountability and liberation. These notions of non-human powers become engaging occasions for the Buddha to shine new lights on old lamps, turning mythology into psychology, superstition into superknowledge, the best example of which is the recollection of deities.
Have you practiced devanussati or something similar? If so, how was it for you? Do such practices interest you? I've wanted to explore devanussati further, but English language resources are understandably scarce. So far I've found a guided meditation by Ajahn Achalo; dhamma talks by Ajahn Yatiko and Bhikkhu Thanissaro (DN 20 is mentioned); and a paper published by Piya Tan (15.13). Devanussati is also briefly covered in chapter 7 of the Visuddhimagga.
paul

Re: Devanussati: Recollecting the Devas in Practice

Post by paul »

The recollection of devas is one of six recollections out of the 40 meditation subjects and this group are subsidiary themes supporting the main meditation theme. The third foundation of mindfulness deals with the state of the mind, and these themes are used to correct the mind when it is noted to be afflicted by distraction, and the third tetrad of the Anapanasati sutta refers to this as “gladdening” and “steadying”.

The six recollections: recollection of the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha, virtue, generosity, and the devas: these recollections serve primarily to gladden the mind, although the first three can also release the mind from fear (SN 11.3).

The perception of impermanence can be treated as a means of steadying the mind:
"When you’re faced with unpleasant experiences, the perception of
inconstancy can make them more bearable; when you’re faced with pleasant
experiences, it can help loosen your tendency to become a slave to them. These
are two ways in which this perception can gladden the mind. When the same
perception leads to equanimity in either case, that would be an example of using
it to steady the mind."

AN 11.12 and 13 give information on the functions of these six recollections.
—-adapted from “Right Mindfulness”, Thanissaro.
Last edited by paul on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Shaila Catherine has a talk on Devanussati here:

https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/163/talk/32755/

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Thank you.

:anjali:

Researching these lesser known practices are sparking an interest in learning Pali. I wonder if these practices would resonate even more in their original language. So far I've memorized Buddhanusati, which is pretty simple-ish: iti pi so bhagavā, arahaṁ sammāsambuddho, vijjācaraṇasampanno sugato lokavidū, anuttaro purisadammasārathī, satthā devamanussānaṁ buddho bhagavā ti.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.8.06.than.html wrote:In whatever place a wise person makes his dwelling, — there providing food for the virtuous, the restrained, leaders of the holy life — he should dedicate that offering to the devas there. They, receiving honor, will honor him; being respected, will show him respect. As a result, they will feel sympathy for him, like that of a mother for her child, her son. A person with whom the devas sympathize always meets with auspicious things.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Devatanussati can be very inspiring.

AN1.301
“Ekadhammo, bhikkhave, bhāvito bahulīkato ekantanibbidāya virāgāya nirodhāya upasamāya abhiññāya sambodhāya nibbānāya saṁvattati. Katamo ekadhammo?

Devatānussati.

Ayaṁ kho, bhikkhave, ekadhammo bhāvito bahulīkato ekantanibbidāya virāgāya nirodhāya upasamāya abhiññāya sambodhāya nibbānāya saṁvattatī”ti.

Translation:
"One thing, mendicants, when developed and cultivated, leads solely to disillusionment, dispassion, cessation, peace, insight, awakening, and extinguishment.

Recollection of the deities.

This one thing, when developed and cultivated, leads solely to disillusionment, dispassion, cessation, peace, insight, awakening, and extinguishment.”
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Not really a guide but a talk on the issue you mention.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta