Meditation: Is it Required?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
PeterB

Re: Meditation: Is it Required?

Post by PeterB »

whitewedding wrote:
PeterB wrote:While agreeing I find myself wondering how many people are actually in the position of not having access to a teacher..
I have this theory which I am happy to have disproved, that least least some people who do not have a teacher or teachers actually eschew teachers because of a kind of fear.

Be that as it may M.O.B and the BV's seem to cover most of our needs.
Well Peter - as we say in mathematics - too many lectures dull your mind.
Sure - meditation is a massively multidimensional thing - but if you stick to the instructions in the suttas, read a few books and maybe ask a question once in a while in this forum then I think you start to figure out where your going wrong and were your going right. Everybody's different - they should design there meditation how it suits them (as long as it's along the right path). Plus - If you figure things out by yourself you get a hell of a lot more insight and control than by following instructions I reckon.

Steve.
I think that you need to listen a bit more and preach a bit less. And I would start with reading what people have actually written and not what you are projecting.

:anjali: