The Very Last Feast Of The Crocodiles

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Bundokji

The Very Last Feast Of The Crocodiles

Post by Bundokji »

As we no longer have the lounge, i am not sure where to post this. I personally used it for contemplation about the nature of existence, and whether it is animal or human, it does not make much difference. I find the underlying forces within beings to be very similar regardless of the form.

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The Very Last Feast Of The Crocodiles

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ūmībhaya Sutta — The Peril of Waves

“There are four perils, monks, to be anticipated  by one who enters the water. What four? The peril of waves, the peril of crocodiles, the peril of whirlpools, and the peril of fierce fish.
“And what, monks, is the peril of crocodiles? Herein, monks, one who has gone forth from household life into homelessness thinking: ‘I have fallen into birth, aging, death, grief, lamentation, pain, sorrow, and despair, I have fallen into suffering, afflicted by suffering. Perhaps the end of this mass of suffering can be attained!’ His fellow monks who have gone forth as recluses admonish and exhort him: ‘You may chew that, but not this; you may eat this, but not that;⁴ you may taste this, but not that; you may drink this, but not that; it is allowable to chew this, but not that; it is allowable to eat this, but not that; it is allowable to taste this, but not that; it is allowable to drink this, but not that; it is allowable to chew, eat, taste, or drink at the right time, but not at the wrong time.’ He thinks: ‘Formerly, when I was a layman, I used to chew, eat, taste, or drink whatever I wanted, whenever I wished to, but now when householders with faith give us superior things to chew, eat, taste, or drink outside of the proper time it is as if we have our mouths closed.’ Being angry and displeased, he gives up the training and reverts to the lower life. This, monks, is a monk who has given up the training due to fear of the peril of crocodiles. The peril of crocodiles, monks, is a metaphor for stuffing the belly. This, monks, is called the peril of crocodiles.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Just imagine the human also have to share the same water pool.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Very sad - so much suffering.