Third Eye Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
form

Re: Third Eye Meditation

Post by form »

In my opinion, if u want direct early buddhist instruction on this it is quite impossible, even materials of anuruddha do not have any.

Alternatively, u will have to look at non buddhist sources like from theosophy leadbeater and motoyama, non theosophy like gopikrishnan, u will find detailed yoga instructions on this aspect. Many involved awakening the kundalini which is said to carry some risks in the process.

Third eye according to leadbeater is associated to the pineal gland. It is associated with meditation with purple light (i believe has some links with kasina meditation although the buddha only mention four other colours). Dr Motoyama's instructions contains certain asanas and meditations to eventually open up the third eye. Eventually, one cannot over use a charkas if not their health will suffer. Balancing is the key and possibly there is an energy source that needs to be recharged regularly. Any charkras can be turned on or off.

The links about the above information with buddhism is probably only on the use of colour meditation to attain concentration.
budo

Post by budo »

form wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:47 am In my opinion, if u want direct early buddhist instruction on this it is quite impossible, even materials of anuruddha do not have any.

Alternatively, u will have to look at non buddhist sources like from theosophy leadbeater and motoyama, non theosophy like gopikrishnan, u will find detailed yoga instructions on this aspect. Many involved awakening the kundalini which is said to carry some risks in the process.

Third eye according to leadbeater is associated to the pineal gland. It is associated with meditation with purple light (i believe has some links with kasina meditation although the buddha only mention four other colours). Dr Motoyama's instructions contains certain asanas and meditations to eventually open up the third eye. Eventually, one cannot over use a charkas if not their health will suffer. Balancing is the key and possibly there is an energy source that needs to be recharged regularly. Any charkras can be turned on or off.

The links about the above information with buddhism is probably only on the use of colour meditation to attain concentration.
This aligns a little bit with my experience, here is my journal entry last year when I was getting a lot of DMT-like hallucinations during that period. Notice I mention purple:

"Meditated for 1.5 hours today, got to one of the deepest levels ever, to the point where the bright white visual field started turning purple, this scared me because I thought I was dying and snapped out of it.

Seems like I'm reaching a new stage, and just like before with the same fears, I'll need to use some metta when fear arises again, as I'm entering new territory.

Also became aware of another step in my meditation that led to this, specifically a tiny area in my nose where the breath enters and turns around and goes out, hard to explain, but before I would follow the breath until it stopped at the nose and then jhana would kick in, this time I'm focusing on even deeper details of the breath in the nose.

Furthermore, sounds started really disappearing, this almost feels like a slow entering of jhana rather than the usual pleasure based entering of jhana. It's weird, at this stage I hear other sounds like the walls and floors creeking and the static wave sound, but all the other sounds have completely disappeared even though I live in a somewhat noisy area. So it seems like my hearing became more localized, which I had in regular pleasure jhana, but never like this happening slowly. This also freaked out and caused me to stop meditating. Also on an off-topic note, I didn't eat today, just drank water and tea, and it's already 2pm, and I still have plenty of energy.
"
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Hi Auto
Any esoteric interpretations
Very much so, in fact it introduces the main teachings or purpose of the Buddha teachings about How Buddha communicates/descends into the lokas his Supreme Wisdom, and the dhamma then becomes a living tradition one of direct experience where the nominal and phenomenal are unified. These are inwards journeys or when the dhitti has transcended or turned away from outward going perception. So there is nothing other than the esoteric in these portions of the suttas.

BrahmA Devā or here Brahmā Sahāmpati is traditionally seen as the world builder or world maker or creator, chief of the lokas and Devas. In Kevatta Sutta, Kevatta the seeker, or wander, inquirer is the drsiti or dhitti searching for answer's and goes on his cosmic journey to find his answers, travelling via way of samadhi he meets with the devas of the 33 who all point him to a deva higher than themselves until Kevatta reaches Brahmā Sahāmpati who is the highest being in the cosmos, from here Brahmā Sahāmpati directs Kevatta the dhitti, the seeker, the wanderer, the inquirer to Tathāgata.

Esoteric meaning will be understood much clearer when the mind is refined through practice, until then everything will be seen only intellectually or exoterically.

There are 2 translations to the word sutta that I like to reflect on. Clues, the suttas gives clues to something that is more transparent or subtle and threads, they thread into something or they lead onto something else, everything that it gives clues or threads on will be the boundless, unformed, unconditioned, undecaying Buddha. Buddha vicāra
auto

Post by auto »

markandeya wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 pm Hi Auto
Any esoteric interpretations
Very much so, in fact it introduces the main teachings or purpose of the Buddha teachings about How Buddha communicates/descends into the lokas his Supreme Wisdom, and the dhamma then becomes a living tradition one of direct experience where the nominal and phenomenal are unified. These are inwards journeys or when the dhitti has transcended or turned away from outward going perception. So there is nothing other than the esoteric in these portions of the suttas.

BrahmA Devā or here Brahmā Sahāmpati is traditionally seen as the world builder or world maker or creator, chief of the lokas and Devas. In Kevatta Sutta, Kevatta the seeker, or wander, inquirer is the drsiti or dhitti searching for answer's and goes on his cosmic journey to find his answers, travelling via way of samadhi he meets with the devas of the 33 who all point him to a deva higher than themselves until Kevatta reaches Brahmā Sahāmpati who is the highest being in the cosmos, from here Brahmā Sahāmpati directs Kevatta the dhitti, the seeker, the wanderer, the inquirer to Tathāgata.

Esoteric meaning will be understood much clearer when the mind is refined through practice, until then everything will be seen only intellectually or exoterically.

There are 2 translations to the word sutta that I like to reflect on. Clues, the suttas gives clues to something that is more transparent or subtle and threads, they thread into something or they lead onto something else, everything that it gives clues or threads on will be the boundless, unformed, unconditioned, undecaying Buddha. Buddha vicāra
Cool, does Thus-gone-one/tathagata exists in the "here and now" or somewhere else? 'Thus', wouldn't that imply dependent origination? basically world is dependently originated, but there is also "here and now"

in Short: There is a wormhole, a gate from what things and even worlds originate. Sun can be a stargate.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

As far as I understand Tathāgata is always here and there~ suchness, its only the veil of avijja that separates us from noticing Buddha in the here and now. I am not sure how some people translated world, if its the outside world of the planet earth floating, spinning in the universe then that is not loka, loka means an sphere or abode of consciousness. Buddha is Lokavidu so can appear and transmit the dharma in all the lokas, this is where Buddha Dharma gets interesting rather than just focusing on the rising and passing away. Like when he enters in Savatthi~sense sphere, kama loka, the market place but abides in jeta's grove Jetavana is a Vihara, Vi is inwardly not effected by external mind and senses consciousness, the suttas have conscious implications they are not limited to the history and geographical locations.

:anjali:
auto

Post by auto »

markandeya wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:05 pm As far as I understand Tathāgata is always here and there~ suchness, its only the veil of avijja that separates us from noticing Buddha in the here and now. I am not sure how some people translated world, if its the outside world of the planet earth floating, spinning in the universe then that is not loka, loka means an sphere or abode of consciousness. Buddha is Lokavidu so can appear and transmit the dharma in all the lokas, this is where Buddha Dharma gets interesting rather than just focusing on the rising and passing away. Like when he enters in Savatthi~sense sphere, kama loka, the market place but abides in jeta's grove Jetavana is a Vihara, Vi is inwardly not effected by external mind and senses consciousness, the suttas have conscious implications they are not limited to the history and geographical locations.

:anjali:
Hi,
we accumulate deeds and as a result, consciousness arises and seeing form, six sense media rises, contact and feelings. If i am aware that i am aware thats the triad where dharma eye rises.
layering and advanging.
anyways there rises also a tangible substance or breath at some point. And how you can recognize sensations like oh while being drunk or bored that sensation there is also felt in that substance, a sameness. Thats why i think it is eventually possible to do things like weightligfting 100 kg or rise from ground and fly around.
It is not opening third eye or realizing that matter is illusion..there is work to do, cultivation to get the sensations into next state.

if i am eventually getting light body what probably is at the same room with others- i have read in alchemy book that yang body is seen by others and you can use your yang body to move objects and others can confirm it too.

So where you go with that body when you get it? when you have that body then by far you have sravaka attainments, so you can't die and born, so where that yang body exists?
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

After charging the body and mind with light (floodlight/car), I stood watching my own shadow and resting the mind - then I became aware that the shadow had a vibrating energy field outlining it, and in the center of this shadow I saw a circle (no shadow) right beneath the navel area.

In later weeks and months, the activity round the "third eye area" and what seems to be forming a connection to eyesight itself. It feels like there is accumulations of energy connected around the area of the eye, and the eye sense, and that this energy can be channeled through/with the eyes.
When this feeling is strong in me, I choose not to look people straight in the eyes, don't know why but ...
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters