Third Eye Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
FCIM

Third Eye Meditation

Post by FCIM »

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of third eye meditation? I've started doing it every so often over the last couple of weeks and am gradually starting to see colours etc. during meditation and almost get a feeling of seeing with my eyes closed (not that I can see what is in front of me with my eyes closed but almost as if there's something there which I can see - though I can't discern what it is other than colours). Just wondering if there is anybody here with a deeper experience of this as I would be interested in learning where I can go with it. Another thing I notice is a strange tightness or stress right in the centre of my forehead and sometimes sensations around it.

Sorry if this already has a thread or if this isn't the correct area of the forum - I'm now.
SarathW

Re: Third Eye Meditation

Post by SarathW »

With my limited knowledge, the third eye is the Hindu teaching.
In Buddhism people experience light (various colours) in their meditation.

=======
And what is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the attainment of knowledge & vision? There is the case where a monk attends to the perception of light and is resolved on the perception of daytime [at any hour of the day]. Day [for him] is the same as night, night is the same as day. By means of an awareness open & unhampered, he develops a brightened mind. This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the attainment of knowledge & vision.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Maybe it could be a "nimitta"? - a sign of the mind becoming more still...You might look up Ajahn Brahm's teachings on this (how to cultivate it and use it to enter samadhi), and I believe it is also mentioned in the VisudhiMagga.

Of course, there is also the divine eye (Dibba Chaku) which the Arahant Ven. Anuruddha was famous for developing. This allows the meditator to see different realms of existence, beings passing away and reappearing (dying and being reborn) in accordance with their kamma. Super powers of this sort do seem to be possible for rare individuals, but they are not the goal of the Buddhist path - and in fact, they can be a major distraction, and the desire for them can cause a lot of desire and frustration and silliness to arise. As cool as super powers may seem, the fact is that samsara is dukkha with or without them. Our goal is to attain the cessation of suffering.

I wouldn't necessarily exclude the possibility that these are just plain old meaningless (from meditative point of view) phenomena either...
paul

Post by paul »

FCIM wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:07 pm I would be interested in learning where I can go with it.
In Theravada the sign (nimitta) is a mental image which arises after concentration on the physical subject, so its highest form is called the counterpart sign, and it indicates access concentration has been reached. Its acquisition is described in association with kasina meditation in the Vishuddhimagga chap. IV, v.30- 31.
Once arisen, the sign should be guarded. The eventual aim is absorption.
FCIM

Post by FCIM »

Thanks all. So, if I understand correctly, third eye meditation is actually counterintuitive to following the Buddhist path?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

FCIM wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 am Thanks all. So, if I understand correctly, third eye meditation is actually counterintuitive to following the Buddhist path?
It's not one of the forms taught or recommended by the Buddha; I think that's all that can be said of it in this context. You might want to try a more specifically "Buddhist" form of meditation, and see if you get the same results.
auto

Post by auto »

Eyes can be an access to body; the sexual centers to be more precise, and as a result into a forehead area where images and dreams happen will substance gather.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Third eye will be equivalent to the Dhamma eye Dhamma- Chakkhu, its opened in the wisdom states or arupa jhanas.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

markandeya wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:39 pm Third eye will be equivalent to the Dhamma eye Dhamma- Chakkhu, its opened in the wisdom states or arupa jhanas.
Do you have a textual reference for that?

:heart:
Mike
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHPMeqW8a0c

Plenty of reference if you look, it will also depend on what your looking for specifically

Ajna is a chakra a wheel, we have left and right eye for normal vision and then there is wisdom eye for seeing the dhamma , and as Buddha said to Ananda if you want to see me, see me in the dhamma, I dont think he was telling him to study texts to know Buddha. :sage:

full sutta

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

General definition (in Buddhism)
cakṣu [cakkhu] an eye, vision. Five kinds of vision (eyes) are mentioned in the Buddhist tradition.

usages of Cakkhu in the suttas

the human or physical vision, māṃsa-cakṣu [maṃsa-cakkhu];
the deva vision: divya-cakṣu [dibba-cakkhu], that is, the unlimited vision or the vision that sees everything in the hidden worlds;
the wisdom vision: prajñā-cakṣu [paññā-cakkhu], the vision of perfect understanding, that is, the knowledge of all that can be known and knowing that all things are unreal;
the dharma vision: dharma-cakṣu [dhamma-cakkhu] that is the vision that enters everything to see the truth that makes men free from the cycle of birth and death;
the Buddha vision: buddha cakṣu [buddha cakkhu], that is, the vision of a Buddha; the omniscient that can comprehend the spiritual state of a human being.
There is also a mention of the vision of all-round knowledge -- the samanta cakṣu [samanta-cakkhu]. It is the vision of the perfected one, mostly of the Tathāgata. Except the physical vision, others can be said to be spiritual qualities

Practice makes perfect Mike :heart:

:anjali:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sorry, perhaps my question was not clear. I am familiar with the texts you mentioned. However, I am not aware of a text that links the arupa attainments are equated with the opening of the dhamma eye. [Of course, there are many texts where jhana is a precursor to awakening.]

Mike
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Hi Mike

I am not 100% familiar with all the texts and I dont use to many English translations as final, only as starters, and most are quite course at that , but some sense as a starting point can be made, but again they have to evolve into practice and application. Wisdom is gained outside of the kama and rupa lokas or mind and sense consciousness, mind and sense lokas are considered as unconsciousness states, it needs to be woken up by devi, Sujata, there is a great teaching in this known more in the wisdom teachings. Arupa Jhanas are synonymous with wisdom states, Prajna states, I can give more references in Sanskrit, although my sanskrit is quite raw and this is not in connections to other paths.

Some insights into the structure of the suttas, is that they are threads of oral traditions, thats why many of them start with Thus I have heard and so on, and later when put into texts were composed in grammar that represents that sound, which is very different to how English and modern languages are formed, in Sanskrit its known as shabda pramanas and Vāc, who as Sarasvatī devi of learning, not ordinary book knowledge but knowledge of Buddha through shabda pramanas, sound, this can go a bit more deeper to understand what is Shabda and Vāc, which is more to do with starting within primordial sound.

Literal translations will completely miss the point of oral traditions and the usage and meaning behind Vāc.

The texts are to be studied along with experience while taking refuge in the 3 jewels of buddha, awakened consciousness, Dhamma, knowing the reality of all existence and Sangha~ wise association.

The rest you/we/me have to work out for ourselves through practice and illumination and following the path of ancients. To understand this better we have to have that quality of wisdom in our mindstream, it cant be replicated by monotonous repeating of texts and intellectual examination by modern means, that will just veil the truth even deeper.

Sincerely

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

OK, thanks. If you find some actual early Buddhist sources, please let us know.

Mike
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

:juggling:

Speechless really......

Simple for the simple, impossible for the crooked.

Just one question, does everything have to reduced into a old school biblical study of texts where literal definitions are the only thing held as valid.

Its an outdated mode Mike

But if I can find something, which I wont make to much effort to look I will post it in capitol letters, i doubt it will have any impact for true paradigm shift, will just be anther structured belief based on wording in a mundane language.

Why not try to open the dhamma eye yourself, then everything is far more simple. Covering up and mistranslating the wisdom or intermediate part of the any ancient teachings was the prime job of monotheistic materialists.

paul

Post by paul »

FCIM wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 am if I understand correctly, third eye meditation is actually counterintuitive to following the Buddhist path?

When the Buddha developed his path, he transcended many things which were aspects of Hinduism at that time, so the ‘third eye’ is a misguided idea in the Theravada view. Working on the Hindu basis of absorption, the Buddha developed vipassana, which utilizes wisdom to completely eradicate the five hindrances, which are only suppressed during absorption. Wisdom (panna) has the ultimate authority and could be said to be the modern third eye.
Last edited by paul on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.