Hand movement during meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
LuisR

Hand movement during meditation

Post by LuisR »

I recently came across a book where the instructions are to move your arm to get concentrated You move your in a up and down motion. It was based on a method by a Thai monk. Does anyone have experience with this?
TRobinson465

Re: Hand movement during meditation

Post by TRobinson465 »

If you are moving your hand really mindfully i find that it helps with concentration sometimes. sorta like walking meditation but instead doing hand movements while you sit.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Do you mean this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahasati_meditation

I've no personal experience, but have seen it done. I knew someone who had problems walking, and so he did this form instead.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 pm If you are moving your hand really mindfully i find that it helps with concentration sometimes. sorta like walking meditation but instead doing hand movements while you sit.
Yes, and there are different levels of this. The Mahasati (no to be confused with Sayadaw Mahasi!) movements demonstrated above can be useful as an alternative to walking when walking is not practical (e.g. in a crowded hall). I was also encouraged to use mindful movements when transitioning to and from sitting meditation. For example, I usually sit down with the hands on the thighs, then mindfully move one, then the other hand to the lap, then mindfully close the eyes. I reverse the sequence at the end of the sitting.

:heart:
Mike
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Thanks Sam for posting that. I had never hear of this kind of meditation but it will be helpful to those with mobility issues.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm Do you mean this?

If the arm movements are just up and down (as stated in the OP), then it's more likely to be the method of Ajahn Dhammadharo, the late abbot of Wat Sai Ngam in Suphanburi. Dhammadharo (not to be confused with Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo) was the teacher of Ajahn Jumnien and Chris Titmus.

I've never practised the method myself and frankly can't make head or tail of it. Here's an exposition by his Thai disciple Phra Paññāvuḍḍho:

http://ftp.budaedu.org/ebooks/pdf/EN173.pdf
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

I have tried this technique. From my experience it works well if you have already developed a reasonably high state of concentration. It's good for if you need to adjust your position. And good to practice if you are having trouble maintaining your concentration during a session or something you can do arm movements in place of walking meditation.

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

From my experience it's good to do briefly. Until your mind becomes still again. Not like the whole session or something

LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes this is the one I was talking about .. I was wondering if anyone has tried it out and how it has worked for them.
Dhammanando wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm Do you mean this?

If the arm movements are just up and down (as stated in the OP), then it's more likely to be the method of Ajahn Dhammadharo, the late abbot of Wat Sai Ngam in Suphanburi. Dhammadharo (not to be confused with Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo) was the teacher of Ajahn Jumnien and Chris Titmus.

I've never practised the method myself and frankly can't make head or tail of it. Here's an exposition by his Thai disciple Phra Paññāvuḍḍho:

http://ftp.budaedu.org/ebooks/pdf/EN173.pdf
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

:namaste:
Yes, I'm using this method thou along with a few others. I came in touch with it in 2006 in the Thai monastery mentioned above and I'm still applying it.
The above commentator is right. One should not do it all day long but switch to another methods or concentration objects or just stop after 20-30 minutes. Actually, the hand or walking (if you are doing walking meditation) must stop by itself at a certain moment.
I think the method works good after an empowerment from senior monks. Otherwise it may take decades.

The monk who had introduced this method passed away in 2005. Now there is another good abbot. However, he is getting old every day (he is 70) and he stopped to teach on daily basis since the pandemic started. Other senior monks are teaching now. It's a big and beautiful monastery that welcomes everyone who is serious about meditation.

One doesn't have to speak Thai while learning the method. If one can read the English manual it's enough.
You can just call them a few days in advance and come. If you want to visit the monastery with a group than call one-two weeks in advance.
Be prepared that those who take phone do not speak English. http://www.watsai.net/eng/ :namaste:
Last edited by Andromeda on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.