Five stages of Rupajjhana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
User1249x

Five stages of Rupajjhana

Post by User1249x »

What is meant by Rupajjhana being divided into five or four stages? Curious about the 5 fold division in particular.
salayatananirodha

Re: Five stages of Rupajjhana

Post by salayatananirodha »

Hi, is this what you mean? www.buddha-vacana.org/formulae/4jhana.html
I've not heard of there being five rūpajhānas.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

yes i mean the four lower jhanas, here is an excerpt from Mahasi Sayadaw's manual of Insight;
Absorbtion concentration

Absorbtion concentration is quite unshakable, as if the mind has been absorbed into the meditation object. There are a total of eight or nine absorbtions: the material absorbtions (rupajjhana), divided into four or five stages, and the immaterial absorbtions (arupajjhana), divided into four stages.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The Abhidhamma (or the commentaries, I'm not sure where) divides the second (I think) rupa jhana into two, giving five altogether.

Take a look at the first entry here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=826
Bhikkhu Bodhi's A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma: The Abhidhammatthasangaha of Acariya Anuruddha, Buddhist Publication Society

:heart:
Mike
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:21 am Take a look at the first entry here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=826
Bhikkhu Bodhi's A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma: The Abhidhammatthasangaha of Acariya Anuruddha, Buddhist Publication Society
:thanks:
Attachments
5 jhana.png
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati