Attainment goals to be wished

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
auto

Attainment goals to be wished

Post by auto »

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/MN/MN6.html

here some of the few main ones
“If a monk would wish, ‘May I—with the ending of (the first) three fetters—be a stream-winner, certain, never again destined for the lower realms, headed for self-awakening,’ then he should be one who brings the precepts to perfection, who is committed to inner tranquility of awareness, who doesn’t neglect jhāna, who is endowed with insight, and who frequents empty dwellings.
“If a monk would wish, ‘May I—with the ending of (the first) three fetters, and with the attenuation of passion, aversion, & delusion—be a once-returner, who, on returning only once more to this world, would make an ending to stress,’ then he should be one who brings the precepts to perfection, who is committed to inner tranquility of awareness, who doesn’t neglect jhāna, who is endowed with insight, and who frequents empty dwellings.
“If a monk would wish, ‘May I—with the ending of the five lower fetters, be one who is due to arise spontaneously (in the Pure Abodes), there to be totally unbound, destined never again to return from that world,’ then he should be one who brings the precepts to perfection, who is committed to inner tranquility of awareness, who doesn’t neglect jhāna, who is endowed with insight, and who frequents empty dwellings.
“If a monk would wish, ‘May I wield manifold supranormal powers. Having been one, may I become many; having been many, may I become one. May I appear & vanish. May I go unimpeded through walls, ramparts, & mountains as if through space. May I dive in & out of the earth as if it were water. May I walk on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting cross-legged, may I fly through the air like a winged bird. With my hand may I touch & stroke even the sun and moon, so mighty and powerful. May I influence with my body even as far as the Brahmā worlds,’ then he should be one who brings the precepts to perfection, who is committed to inner tranquility of awareness, who doesn’t neglect jhāna, who is endowed with insight, and who frequents empty dwellings.
Dhammarakkhito

Re: Attainment goals to be wished

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

if you have enough faith in the buddha or the dhamma you will attain stream entry before passing away
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
paul

Post by paul »

One who accepts impermanence is irrevocably on the path to stream-entry:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

paul wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:53 am One who accepts impermanence is irrevocably on the path to stream-entry:
Thanks, Paul. :anjali: I wonder how many contributors to Dhamma Wheel have already met this apparently modest criterion?
One who, after pondering with a modicum of discernment, has accepted that these phenomena are this way is called a Dhamma-follower: one who has entered the orderliness of rightness, entered the plane of people of integrity, transcended the plane of the run-of-the-mill. He is incapable of doing any deed by which he might be reborn in hell, in the animal womb, or in the realm of hungry shades. He is incapable of passing away until he has realized the fruit of stream-entry.
Sujato makes it sound slightly more stringent by translating the requirement as
Someone who accepts these principles after considering them with a degree of wisdom
But in any case, stream entry in this life. Both are a bit indeterminate, and would presumably allow the deluded to merely accept the idea intellectually and decouple it from whatever "modicum" or "degree" of Pañña is required.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

paul wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:53 am One who accepts impermanence is irrevocably on the path to stream-entry:
I think the word "accepting" in Buddhism means "to stop resisting" while in daily use it has more active/positive connotations.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
auto

Post by auto »

"empty dwellings"- i have thought what it is meant by that.

In this Sutta it is, https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"There are some brahmans & contemplatives, brahman, who have the perception of 'day' when it is night, and of 'night' when it is day. This, I tell you, is their being in a dwelling of delusion. As for me, I have the perception of 'day' when it is day, and of 'night' when it is night. If anyone, when speaking rightly, were to say, 'A being not subject to delusion has appeared in the world for the benefit & happiness of many, out of sympathy for the world, for the welfare, benefit, & happiness of human & divine beings,' he would rightly be speaking of me.

a possible hint how that perception and dwelling in delusion may come, is a paragraph before that above quote,
What if I, in whatever state I'm in when fear & terror come to me, were to subdue that fear & terror in that very state?' So when fear & terror came to me while I was walking back & forth, I would not stand or sit or lie down. I would keep walking back & forth until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came to me while I was standing, I would not walk or sit or lie down. I would keep standing until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came to me while I was sitting, I would not lie down or stand up or walk. I would keep sitting until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came to me while I was lying down, I would not sit up or stand or walk. I would keep lying down until I had subdued that fear & terror.
practicewise, i need remain in a state where the 'fear' came and subdue it there otherwise what happen is i have perception of 'fear' on different place where is some other feeling.

well actually the quote above previous quote explains,
"The thought occurred to me: 'What if — on recognized, designated nights such as the eighth, fourteenth, & fifteenth of the lunar fortnight — I were to stay in the sort of places that are awe-inspiring and make your hair stand on end, such as park-shrines, forest-shrines, & tree-shrines? Perhaps I would get to see that fear & terror.' So at a later time — on recognized, designated nights such as the eighth, fourteenth, & fifteenth of the lunar fortnight — I stayed in the sort of places that are awe-inspiring and make your hair stand on end, such as park-shrines, forest-shrines, & tree-shrines. And while I was staying there a wild animal would come, or a peacock would make a twig fall, or wind would rustle the fallen leaves. The thought would occur to me: 'Is this that fear & terror coming?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'Why do I just keep waiting for fear?
"The thought occurred to me: 'When brahmans or contemplatives who are drooling idiots, resort to isolated forest or wilderness dwellings, it's the fault of their drooling idiocy that they give rise to unskillful fear & terror. But it's not the case that I am a drooling idiot, when I resort to isolated forest or wilderness dwellings. I am consummate in discernment. I am one of those noble ones who are consummate in discernment when they resort to isolated forest or wilderness dwellings.' Seeing in myself this consummate discernment, I felt even more undaunted about staying in the wilderness.
auto

Post by auto »

— on recognized, designated nights such as the eighth, fourteenth, & fifteenth of the lunar fortnight — I stayed in the sort of places that are awe-inspiring and make your hair stand on end, such as park-shrines, forest-shrines, & tree-shrines. And while I was staying there a wild animal would come, or a peacock would make a twig fall, or wind would rustle the fallen leaves. The thought would occur to me: 'Is this that fear & terror coming?'
' Then the thought occurred to me: 'Why do I just keep waiting for fear?
the fear is a being, what comes. So that is the being or self what is a link in SN suttas?

"Thus, from ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications.
"From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness.
"From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form.
"From name-&-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media.
"From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact.
"From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling.
"From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving.
"From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance.
"From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming.
"From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth.
budo

Post by budo »

This is a great thread, thank you for posting it and updating it.