Looking for a retreat in western canada or US

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Patrice

Looking for a retreat in western canada or US

Post by Patrice »

Hello,

I'm trying to find a retreat somewhere in western canada or western US. I have been searching the web and I find a little bit of everything. I am getting a little confused at this point. Does anyone know good centers/retreats they can recommend? I have a preference for Canada but I wouldn't mind traveling to the US if I have to. I checked with work and the last two weeks of April, all may and then from mid October to December are time I could easily get some time off.

Thank you
JohnK

Re: Looking for a retreat in western canada or US

Post by JohnK »

Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You might want to check out Arrow River Forest Hermitage in Ontario:

Meditation Retreats at Arrow River

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi »

The full list of Ajahn Chah associated monasteries in North America: https://forestsangha.org/community/mona ... th-america

And there's also a list of centers with nuns too: http://www.abhayagiri.org/community/mon ... -for-women
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Thank you all for your replies! I contacted Arrow River after reading the website. This might very well be the place I was looking for.

Polar Bear: did you ever go there for a retreat?
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Patrice wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:09 pm Thank you all for your replies! I contacted Arrow River after reading the website. This might very well be the place I was looking for.

Polar Bear: did you ever go there for a retreat?

Unfortunately, I have not. I recommended Arrow River on the basis of it seeming like a great place for seclusion with a nice environment and because I like Ajahn Punnadhammo based on his dhamma talks that you can find on http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/8/

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."