Looking for a retreat in western canada or US

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Patrice

Looking for a retreat in western canada or US

Post by Patrice » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to find a retreat somewhere in western canada or western US. I have been searching the web and I find a little bit of everything. I am getting a little confused at this point. Does anyone know good centers/retreats they can recommend? I have a preference for Canada but I wouldn't mind traveling to the US if I have to. I checked with work and the last two weeks of April, all may and then from mid October to December are time I could easily get some time off.

Thank you

JohnK

Re: Looking for a retreat in western canada or US

Post by JohnK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 pm

"...the practice is essentially a practice, and not a theory to be idly discussed...right view leaves unanswered many questions about the cosmos and the self, and directs your attention to what needs to be done to escape from the ravages of suffering." Thanissaro Bhikkhu, On The Path.

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:15 am

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 am

You might want to check out Arrow River Forest Hermitage in Ontario:

Meditation Retreats at Arrow River

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:21 pm

The full list of Ajahn Chah associated monasteries in North America: https://forestsangha.org/community/mona ... th-america

And there's also a list of centers with nuns too: http://www.abhayagiri.org/community/mon ... -for-women
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38 :candle: | Blog at http://dhammareflections.wordpress.com

Patrice

Post by Patrice » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Thank you all for your replies! I contacted Arrow River after reading the website. This might very well be the place I was looking for.

Polar Bear: did you ever go there for a retreat?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Patrice wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:09 pm
Thank you all for your replies! I contacted Arrow River after reading the website. This might very well be the place I was looking for.

Polar Bear: did you ever go there for a retreat?

Unfortunately, I have not. I recommended Arrow River on the basis of it seeming like a great place for seclusion with a nice environment and because I like Ajahn Punnadhammo based on his dhamma talks that you can find on http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/8/

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."