Sensual desires and ill will are uprooted by equanimity of fourth jhana?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Saengnapha

Re: Sensual desires and ill will are uprooted by equanimity of fourth jhana?

Post by Saengnapha »

Zom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:49 am
For me, jhanas seem like side effects as we let go of discursive thinking and relax into the body. The agitation calms down and there is a sense of wholeness.
Not that simple. First, Buddha said that jhanas are "acinteyya" - "unimaginable/unthinkable" thing, something you can't understand until you are in. They are "uttari manussa dhamma" - superhuman phenomenon. This is much more than just relaxation and so on. Jhanas allow one to perform superhuman powers like levitation, walking through walls, cloning your own body, etc. And jhanas along with that allow true deep insight into body/mind nature. That is, first of all, this is an extremely powerful and mystic state of conciousness.
Of course it's not that simple. Especially if you are attached to anything in these experiences. I didn't realize I was experiencing superhuman phenomenon!

I understand the deep attraction to jhanas. Once again, the Buddhist teaching is not about mystical experience, superpowers, or any state of consciousness. Though all kinds of phenomenon may be encountered, encountering all possible phenomenon is not required or taught. Acinteyya means not to be thought about because they distract from the real teaching.
Zom

Re: Sensual desires and ill will are uprooted by equanimity of fourth jhana?

Post by Zom »

I didn't realize I was experiencing superhuman phenomenon!
Probably because you was not 8-)